SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 05:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 39 take about 4 hours to cool  (Read 9937 times)
Bigtonka

« on: November 08, 2013, 11:27:52 pm »

Hi all,

I just finished reassembling my first machine, a V-39.  Before tearing it apart, plugged it in to make sure it cooled, it did - got to 0 deg C in about 4 hours.

I never questioned this. 

Now that I'm done, and have it back together, I notice the compressor never shuts off - even with the probe emerged in ice water. 

Also worth noting, with the thermo set to "Off", and THEN I plug it in, the compressor take ~5-10 attempts to kick in.  However, if plugged in with the thermo set colder, the compressor engages immediately.

Now - keep in mind, the machine will get to freezing conditions, just takes considerable time.  If the machine had leaked freon, would it ever get this cold?? 

What should I look for next?  I'm pretty sure the "not shutting off" issue is a thermostat - but I'm hesitant to change the thermo if I have a bigger problem!

Help?

Thanks,
Mark - up north.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 11:47:39 pm »

you nailed it. if it were low, you'd never reach temperature.

I think the 4 or 5 'tries' is from messing with the stat and you're
catching it in a 'short cycle' tripping the overload. new thermostat,
and I think you'll be good to go. also, if you haven't changed the wiring
harness... do that too.

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Bigtonka

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »

Thanks for confirming Eric -

I've replaced all the wiring, and will also pick up a start relay / cap / overload and new thermostat too.

Will hopefully update with good news once I get some parts.

Mark

Bigtonka

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »

After changing out the t-stat and installing a 3in1, the machine got no cooler any faster. 

So today I pulled the compressor / evap out and brought it to a local guy who is going to look at it for me.  It's a virgin system, so he'll install a valve, and pressure test.  He also has a supply of R12!  So I'll know within the week what the outcome is.

krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:05:45 pm »

Good luck! I hope he gets it fixed up for you. I had about the same thing happen with my westinghouse. Thought I was all done and then boom, one more thing to fix.

Hope you get it back and it's like brand new.

Kevin

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Bigtonka

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:06:53 am »

Was very excited to get my compressor / condenser back yesterday.

My refrigeration found a leak, fixed it - vacuumed the lines and refiled.  Also added a new dryer and high / low access points.

I plugged it in, closed it up and to my delight, the machine dropped to 4c degrees (39F) in about 1 hour!

However - I noticed my condenser fan was running nonstop, even when the compressor was off.  I had added the 3-in-1 before I had it serviced, so I rewired so that the condenser fan ran off the common and run pins of the compressor.

Let it run overnight with the machine 1/2 filled. 

Got up this morning to see it at 14c (57F).  I was in a rush to get the kids to school, so I didn't get to watch it long, but I think the overload protection is popping in the 3-in-1...  Sad

Theories??? 

Also - thermostat is brand new as well....

Bigtonka

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 02:34:11 pm »

Haven't been able to take my mind off this problem while at work - and I think I've figured it out...

The 3-in-1 is overloading when I wired my condenser fan directly to the Run and Common pins on the compressor - piggy backing (with alligator clips to test).  I'm now pulling more amps through the 3in1 powering the fan and compressor.  I will verify tonight.

I've been drawing and redrawing the circuit on paper this afternoon trying to figure out why my condenser fan stays on all the time (other than when the thermo is set to OFF)...  guess I'll keep drawing!
Bigtonka

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »

down

My guy just left - high side pressure reading a 50 PSI - low side about 30.  He thinks my compressor is shot...

What are my options?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:04:58 pm »

Just curious....where was the leak that was repaired?

Glen
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 07:49:43 pm »

30/50.... you've got a valve knocked out or you've broken high side line,
inside the "can" and probably happened during the "recharge".

I'm sure someone on here, can help you out, if you want it done "right"...

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: