SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 07:28:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: type of refridgerant  (Read 8130 times)
harleyryder

« on: August 02, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »

back in the 60's  did they use R-12 ? if unit is not cooling but you can hear liquid running after you turn if off.... do you think it needs freon?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:02:23 pm by johnieG » Logged
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »

They used liquid pixie dust... tounge

yep They Used R12 up until about 1998-ish...if it sounds like gurgling water in the evaporator coils boiling off, theres gas in there alright, but I'd say something else is wrong if it's not cooling, how about checking the fan that circulates the air for the pops?

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
harleyryder

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:53 pm »

I had to replace the condenser fan (bearing was shot) the evaporator fan is good. there is about a 11 degree diference  between the large (aprox) 3/8 copper line and the smaller 3/16 line 81 degrees and 92 degrees large line being cooler. I left it on about 5 min. or so
harleyryder

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:50:41 pm »

I have the unit out of the machine right now by the way.  The shrader valve is in the back I don't know if I can get to it when I put it back in
harleyryder

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »

something else I noticed is a copper tube about 3 1/2 ' by 1 1/4 with a small 1/16' tube coming from both ends one end is coming out of the lower part of the condenser.  when I turn off the power,  this gets much colder than the rest of the lines
harleyryder

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:26:30 pm »

sorry I don't know all the terms  I'm just an old guy with streetrods and a old gas pump I restored and thought this would be a good  addition to the garage
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »

Welcome to the board!
Not to worry about the terms. What helps a bunch is a couple of pictures.
The folks that assist here have jobs so it may be a few days until you get a good response.
Creighton
harleyryder

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »

ok  this is the part that gets colder when I unplug the unit. Is this the dryer? should it get colder after its turned off
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »

Yes it WAS the filter/dryer, now the desiccant inside it is  contaminated with water & can hold no more, so it allows it (the water) to cause trouble in the capillary tubing.

NOTE the silver clamp on style line tap ( looks like an old "Robin Air" brand 2-bolt model) that has been added to the suction line, these buggers leak, & since it's on the suction line it probably has allowed outside air ( & the associated humidity, IE: water vapor) to enter the system. you probably have ice crystals forming somewhere in the capillary tubing which is shutting off your freon flow to the evaporator. this is why it stops cooling. plus it allows the freon to leak out also.

the fix is to recover the freon, replace the filter dryer, remove the clamp on tap-valve & install an inline (brazed on) service valve & vacuum the system & recharge it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:16:56 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
harleyryder

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:18:13 pm »

The gauge shows about 5lbs of pressure in the suction side.... How much should it have?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: