SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:45:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo V-77 Suddenly quit. Tripping GFCI outlet  (Read 5677 times)
grbgemen

« on: May 01, 2012, 06:27:14 pm »

Vendo V-77 tripping GFCI outlet.  Machine has been running just fine for that last few months.  Just took a break to look something up on the internet and suddenly lost power to the outlets in my garage(computer shut off).  Sounded like the compressor on the machine had just kicked off when it happened(or I guess it lost power).  As soon as I plug the machine in now, it triggers the GFCI outlet.

Any idea or some guidance on what/where I should be looking.  Gonna try and do some searching now.  Thanks all in advance.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

I'm no expert, but aren't big appliances that kick on supposed to be on a dedicated non GFCI outlet? Did you try it on a non GFCI outlet?

Tim
grbgemen

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »

I am no expert either.  I am not sure if I have any non-GFCI outlets in my garage.  Let me take a look.
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:30:49 pm »

You could always put a higher amp breaker in the box (from a 15 amp to a 20 amp).

OK...don't do that...it could cause a fire.  Bad advise...but maybe ok just to test?

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
grbgemen

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »

Looks like all the outlets in my garage are GFCI.  After some searching, seems as if this might be caused by the machine "leaking" electricity?  Not sure what to do at this point.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

The compressor could be feeling its age, sometimes the startup current will trip the breaker.  Consider putting in a 3-1 starter on the unit, hopefully that might help with the GFCI outlet.

grbgemen

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:05:30 pm »

Just ran an extension cord(just to test) from my garage to a non-GFCI outlet in my house.  Machine powered up and compressor kicked on.  However I did not leave it running for very long.

tkaz, I will get a 3n1 starter ordered.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »

You should try to isolate the separate electrical components of the machine, first unplug the coinmech & retest, next unplug the compressor, retest, etc.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
grbgemen

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

You should try to isolate the separate electrical components of the machine, first unplug the coinmech & retest, next unplug the compressor, retest, etc.

just tried this.  Started by unplugging coin mech with no change.  Next unplugged the entire harness going to front door.  This time machine powered up and compressor kicked on.  Plugged the harness back in and it still runs/cools.   glare
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: