SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 06:08:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam powered tonka truck  (Read 83071 times)
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2014, 05:31:01 pm »

Very cool, thanks for updating!
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2014, 05:58:59 pm »

Very cool, thanks for updating!

Thanks! Really hoping to finish this project maybe next week or so (or at least have all the belts installed or have a chassis that will move under its own power) as long as I get around to ordering the replacement parts I need.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2014, 09:36:42 pm »

New piston has just been ordered today and the rest of the parts are here. Just need to counterbore the frame plate for the 4-40 screws, install the new piston and cylinder, repaint the truck frame and install the belts. Also need a few parts for the axle but those are general hardware things I can get for a few cents at the hardware store. Here are a few pictures of the progress

Truck frame with axle installed

Truck frame next to body

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2014, 05:38:27 pm »

Assembled and tested the steam truck. Discovered a pretty big design flaw. Turns out by putting the flywheel and crankshaft inside the frame you can't get to the flywheel to flick it to start the engine. Thinking about either re locating the flywheel to the outside or just replacing the crankshaft with a longer pin and put a knurled knob on the outside that will allow me to turn the engine over to get it going. Other than that it looks pretty good I think. I also think I need to re make the front axle so that I can use some shoulder bolts for the front axle.

Truck body

Drive system

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: