SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 12:21:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchase of Dr Pepper S-48  (Read 6440 times)
RonL

« on: August 27, 2016, 02:03:03 pm »

Hi, newbie here that recently had the wife bring home a Dr Pepper machine that she wants me to restore.  There are no tags on the machine that I can find and my research would indicate that it is is a Selectivend S-48.  It's missing some parts and I have posted a WTB in the Swap Area.  But, the reason for this post is to try to find information on how to restore it.  

I am looking for a service manual for the  National Coin mechanism and any other information that could help me restore the machine.  Also, if anyone has experience restoring this model I would like to be able to ask some questions.

I realize that it is not as collectible as other machines but it's what she wants restored and in the house.

Thanks for any advice and assistance.

Ron
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:13:53 pm by RonL » Logged
crackerman_don
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:28:52 pm »

Ron welcome to the site . There are plenty people here to help with all your questions and parts too. Nice looking cooler and machine.

Don

Vendo-39
Vendo-27a
Vendo-56
7 up VMC-33
Popperette
Vendo 27
Vendo 44
Pepsi Gullwing
Minut pop
Seeburg W
You'll Like popcorn
Glasscock Counter Top
Popcorn Sez
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »

That looks pretty good , would rewire and leave paint alone

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
RonL

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:53:35 pm »

It's not in bad shape at all and won't take a lot of metal work.  I just need to find the shelves and the door lock.  All of the coin and cover is there and in nice shape. 

Ron
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »

Nice machine Ron!
Picnic cooler too!
but it's what she wants
Can you elaborate a little...?

My six cents,

Jim

RonL

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 06:11:29 pm »

My wife is a loyal Dr Pepper person.  So when she saw this machine she fell in love with it.   What I meant by this is what she wants is that I know that the Coke machines and that other soda machine makes are more collectable but she found this one and wants me to restore it.

Ron
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 07:00:31 pm »

Welcome and congrats. IMO SV's are the best built so you should not have too much trouble. Any questions just ask.
Creighton
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »

That looks pretty good , would rewire and leave paint alone

I must agree! 

Although it has  been repainted by D.P. it's still probably the nicest original I have ever seen.

(And we all envy you for having such a cool wife) hopefull

Glen
RonL

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 10:15:09 am »

Thanks for all of the replies.  Has anyone here restored a S-48 like this?  I do have some questions that if willing might be answered.

I have restored other items in the past but never a soda machine.  A hole has been drilled in the left side so I need to remove the skin to patch it and while at it replace the insulation.  There are rivets at the front that I would guess need to be drilled out.  However, where would I find that kind of rivet to put back in.  Mainly little questions like this.

Thanks everyone.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »

your machine probably had a smaller sign to begin with.. they show up on ebay from time to time... so the holes on the front you may want to fill.. You could also do a nice decal on the front if a sign can't be found for now.. it may also have had a small Selectivend medallion in the upper top left...

Great looking machine. Congrats on the find!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »

I think your best bet before diving in to assess the machine to make sure it actually works.  Go through the machine systematically check for operation of the coin mechanism, cooling system, and other important factors .  You may find after doing so that you'll need additional parts, etc before jumping into a full blown restoration.

I saw listed on eBay ( 2 ) S 48 the pricing was quite expensive you may try contacting the seller to see if he will some parts separately.

Good Luck!

Unrestored :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302032174662

One for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252511856439

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:17:29 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: