SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 09:39:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: burnt out coin mech?  (Read 7084 times)
hawk
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:57:06 pm »

is it possible to burn out a coin mech if its wire wrong at the credit switch or solenoid?  everything works now accept the bottom switch that puts out nickles in change,  i hear the rejectors click when i plug it in but the rest is dead.  took of the back and i seen scorch marks on the circuit board?   prob dumb questions but im new and trying very hard at this.   i dont wana burn another out.

thanks   hawk
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:35 pm »

depends on what model you are talking about, (there are only about a couple hundred designs! ) but most electronic coinmechs will always have some (what looks like) greasy blackish soot/smoke marks around the CREMS (Coin-Reject-ElectroMagnets) & if it's a coinco 75-9XXX series the back cover will have some of the same soot on the inside of the cover. it's just from the heat of the components & the off-gassing of the plastics used in the insulation of the CREM coils & the Heat from the voltage regulator on the main circut board.

but in general, yes, you can fry a coinmech if it's the wrong voltage rating for the machine, say a 24 volt mech in a 120 volt application like a Vendo V63, both have the same style 8-pin "Jones" connector which will plug right into either machine.

off hand assuming it's a coinco tan-plastic mech, you probably have a defective voltage regulator circut, because the change motor on these mechs runs off of the 12 volt- DC created by the regulator, no 12volts DC, no change motor & no coin-counting = no vending. 

The CREM solenoids are run from the line voltage that is wire up from the vending carrier switch down by the bottle stack on that type of machine. so, you can have the CREMS clicking in all day, & still have no coin-operation.............which leads us to the next problem

to help you out I'll now need some info please,

what machine are we talking about? ( Vendo, Cavalier, Lacrosse, Dixienarco. etc.)
what model is it? V63, CS64, LLC90, Etc.
what coinmech do you have that's malfuntioning. make (coinco, mars. vendo, etc.) & its modle no. will help ( S75-9800A/B, Vara-price, F9300 FP, Etc.)

talk to you soon...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:56:14 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
hawk
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:21 pm »

machine is a cavalier square top  css96f   with a coin co s75-9800b  the first time a had it hooked up what i thought was the correct way it work only with the top part out and hand dropping them in the slot.  from the top they fell straight threw,  so i switched coin mechs with another machine  same result,  (but both worked in the other machine}  after switching things around and redueing connections both changer now dont work,  i hear the magnets go in but the bottom part seems dead?  hoping you can help im so frustrated.

thanks alot  hawk
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:16:21 pm »

Much clearer!

sounds like you may not have power going to the coinmech, check for line voltage between the female jones socket pins # 1 & 2. you should see 110-120 volts AC, if not, it may be a disconnected wire harness underneath to jones socket, very common on cavaliers, as they use quick-connects to attach the wire hareness to the jones socket, where as Vendo solders them onto it,

unplug the machine, remove the 2-4 screws attaching the metal housing of the jones connector to the inside of the coin mech backwall & carefully have a peek, you'll probably find a few have been pulled loose. the wiring diagram on the inside of the main door shows which colors goes to which pins.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
hawk
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »

I will check this out and try it but since both coin mechs I tried did work great in my other machine (cavalier 72 ) but now do not I was assuming its the coin mechs that have some how gone bad?   possibly from my wiring it wrong or somthing.  only the bottoms dont work in both mechs,   before they both worked,in my 72   but neither in the css96f  .   

thanks johnieG    im appreciating your help bigtime!
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:55:17 am »

Do the coin mechs still work in the C-72?

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
hawk
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »

they did before bryan but now neither work,nothings changed in the 72   before i tried them both several times in the 72    but after trying them in the css96f  now neither work anywhere?   could i have possibly burnt them out by wiring the other electrical parts wrong in the css96f  or dont they burn out?  keep in mind on both units the electro magnet click in on both machines but its now the bottoms or the coin return switch that doesnt work. 

thanks for helping bryan

David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:33 pm »

Hawk,

Sounds like you have the machine wired incorrectly.  I once did the same thing, had a perfectly good coin mech, added my money in and bang...  Same issue, the coin mech burnt up and the traces were burnt right off the circuit board.  After checking the wiring I found it was incorrect, rewired the machine and it worked fine with a new mech.  Again, I don't recall how I had the wiring incorrect, but I know it's possible to have this issue due to the wiring.

Thanks-
David
hawk
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 08:06:35 am »

thanks david,  im getting a new coin mech and going back to square 1  thanks for all your help.  i also believe they are burnt up, im gonna have to take more time wiring this thing but the diagram in the book is hard to read? 
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:26 am »

Hawk - JohnieG gave you a couple steps to check the wiring.  I would start there.  Then as David suggests you probably need to get your hands on the wiring diagram for the machine and start tracing circuits.  Before toasting another coin mech - you may want to try a free vend switch.  It won't let you test all the functions of a coin mech but you could at least isolate the vending circuit.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: