SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 02:06:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i buy a machine that doesn't cool?  (Read 4811 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: June 28, 2004, 06:12:20 pm »

I am considering buying a machine that might not cool. (cut power cord) I don't have alot of money to drop into the cooling system. I am tring to find out what all of your experiences have been with cost of fixing cooling units. I have alot of experience with machines but so far I have been lucky and always gotten machines that cool. What is a high and a low estimate on fixing a cooling system. Also in the event that it only need a charge how hard is it to do yourself, and is the coolant available to people like me. I have charged systems with 134a but I know that it is alot different. Any Ideas would help. Also would any of you buy a machine that didn't cool if the price was right.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 07:08:03 pm »

Depends whats the machine its price etc? Whats its shape? I bought a machine that had a " Cut cord" locally and only spent 25 bucks and had to throw a lot more in it cause the compressor was froze up and dead. More info and price would better have someone answer. cause theres a cutoff point when something that needs to be fixed isnt worth the money when considering the fixing costs and thus just getting a working machine.Smiley
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 07:28:31 pm »

The machine is a vendo 56.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 08:44:45 pm »

The 50's or 60's version...?

My six cents,

Jim

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 09:25:23 pm »

I have no idea how to tell the difference. I don't have a pic of the machine, but if you could possibly post a pic of each i could tell you. It is Pepsi and has the glass bottle door. It has the grill at the bottom. I don't think this helps. Also do you know what this machine would be worth restored? The purpose of this purchase is going to be to restore for resale. I have always been interested in Cavaliers and have paid no attention to vendo's.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 09:30:51 pm »

looks exactly like this.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 11:37:33 am »

A 50's machine is worth more than a 60's  machine. That's something to consider.  I bought a Cavalier Coke machine that didn't cool, but the compressor and fan both ran. The compressor shut off on it's thermal overload which protected the compressor. I replaced some rusted lines, added a couple access valves, filter/drier and charged it and it cooled ok. R12 is hard to get and is expensive so you need something else that is compatable with it's mineral oil. R134a isn't compatable, r414b, r409a and mp39 are compatable but must be liquid charged. You can't do this by yourself unless you have the right equipment and are certified to buy refrigerant (r134a doesn't count). Check the prices on e-bay to get an idea what a machine is worth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: