SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 10:47:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fathers Nehi Kelvinator  (Read 2311 times)
Jace
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:13 pm »

My father has had this Nehi Kelvinator for a few years. It runs (last time I checked) but needs a new belt and some wiring fixed. I have some time on my hands and with the weather getting nice it would cool to get it fixed up.

Any one know where I might be able to source parts? I don't think any thing mechanical is broken, I have a new belt sourced from an auto parts store and I'm currently working on rewiring it. I have heard that one can clean and service the electric motors, I'm sure someone here has done this. Any advice?

There is a little surface rust in the bin that I need to take care of, and I should probably get a new seal that goes around the doors.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

Welcome to the board!
Your cooler looks to be in nice shape! I bet it still works also - the refer systems in these old machines were built like tanks; however, I have no personal experience with the belt driven type that you have. A good cleaning, new wiring, re-insulating etc can do wonders.
I am sure a (close enough) gasket can be obtained from one of the sponsors of the site.
Looks to be missing the cap catcher and condensation drawer. Vendo coolers combined the condensation and cap catcher into one, but your machine appears to have an external cap catcher and a separate drawer for the condensation. Correct? Might be difficult to find if missing.
Maybe somebody with hands-on experience will chime in soon.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:17:51 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: