SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 08:58:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are fully restored Coke Vendo 81D's going for?  (Read 10728 times)
FDNY1975
10 Cent Member

« on: January 04, 2013, 05:55:30 pm »

I have a lead on a fully restored Vendo 81D about two hours from me its a new restoration only a year old. From what i was told was sandblasted, powercoated rack and inside, new wiring,gaskets compressor the works. The family is relocating due to job and would like to sell it instead of shipping it with them. I really have no idea what a fully restored 81D goes for now a days any insight would be appreciated. Sorry no pics yet.

Matt
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:09:06 pm »

http://www.antiquevending.com/purchase-prices.html

Tim
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »

If you check e-bay fully restored nice ones are $7,499. I would put that at high retail. From there prices drop. It would be very hard to say with seeing the quality of the restoration. Pro vs. amateur. A nice original 81 is going to cost you $2,500. If you could get a nice restored one for $4,000-$5,000 you be doing ok. 

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:27 pm »

I think true market value for a professionally restored v81d with no issues is 6k. Lucky to get one for 5k.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:05 pm »

Alot will depend on the quality of the restoration... based one what was said and lets just assume everything was done right then the 6-7 figure is right....

if you could get it for under 6 and it's done right, I'd say its a good deal.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:35 am »

I agree.  The money spent depends how far the restoration process goes.  Is the coin mech re-plated re-chromed etc?  How is the paint job?  Hand lettering, new American made compressor etc. 

I am almost done my WD-5 and, after buying the unit, professional body work and paint job, professional hand letterer (no brush marks) chrome plating all hardware, brand new condenser deck, powder coating all tank components,  I may be in $4000 without any labor.  That is why you can spend $5500 or more to do it right.

My first "restorations" 12 years ago, consisted of a new paint job, painting the inside of the cabinate hammertone rattle can grey, spray painted the condenser deck and I called it restored.   I have learned a lot over the years and I am still an "amateur"

Buyer beware.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:07:43 am »

I agree.  The money spent depends how far the restoration process goes.  Is the coin mech re-plated re-chromed etc?  How is the paint job?  Hand lettering, new American made compressor etc. 

I am almost done my WD-5 and, after buying the unit, professional body work and paint job, professional hand letterer (no brush marks) chrome plating all hardware, brand new condenser deck, powder coating all tank components,  I may be in $4000 without any labor.  That is why you can spend $5500 or more to do it right.

My first "restorations" 12 years ago, consisted of a new paint job, painting the inside of the cabinate hammertone rattle can grey, spray painted the condenser deck and I called it restored.   I have learned a lot over the years and I am still an "amateur"

Buyer beware.

BC

Just out of curiosity, does the professional restoration include plating the coin mech and replacing the compressor if it does't need it just to say it was done? Do all of the pro's do this just to do it or do they take shortcuts when its appropriate? Would any machine be considered not restored if it has the original compressor?

I'm not throwing stones and just have my first machine 100% apart right now, just asking the question. I am sending my coin mech out west to get it done, but I'm having a hard time replacing a compressor that works 100% that runs quiet just to say that I did. Rewire, paint and polish, but buying a whole new lower skid set-up every time seems to be a waste of money just to be "Professional" about a restoration that will look and run 100% when done.

Any professionals want to chime in and say they replace every cooling system and replate everything without exception 100% of the time just for giggles to be considered professional and do it "right"?

Tim
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »

I never replace a refrigeration unit with a new one, and if I have a bad compressor I always find a pre 1980's machine which still ran on R12, just to use it's cooling system.
      Newer units do not have the life expectancy of the old ones, it's pretty obvious just comparing the size and weight of their casings.
      I'm sure Eric could give us some real insight into the differences.
      Besides the original compressor being more reliable, it just looks original to the machine.
      Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the early upright machines became obsolete quite quickly and the cooling units were still quite new. A Vendo 81 B or D for example, produced in the late 50's was only in service for maybe 4 years and pulled in the early 60's in favor of the square machines that could accept more than a dime. Each machine would have it's own history from then on, some being used regularly and others sitting in a barn     The 60's slant shelf machines became obsolete in the early 70's when cans were introduced to the vending market.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29:24 am »

as far as a pro grade or A grade restoration

the coin mech for sure should be restored as well as all inside and outside components of the machine, not just rattle canned, but professional painted exterior,interior parts should be plated or powder coated, coin mech and coin door accessories plated or powdered.

door light rewired , ballast replaced if bad, switches, etc

all new hardware used (stainless screws), door liner, gaskets, seals, wiring etc..

as far as the compressor I do it two ways... if I'm restoring a machine for a customer and the original unit is working just fine I give them the option for me to "Restore" the original unit which includes tear down, repaint, rewire, new fans, therm etc... or if the original unit is shot then they can pay to have a newer unit put it.. but to toss a good working unit is a waste in my opionion.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:08:07 am »

If someone is going to pay $6500 for a restored machine, I believe it may make sense to install a brand new American made Tecumseh compressor  They are much better than the ones made in China.

Just my .02

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:20 pm »

Like John said above if the original compressor is working fine, leave it and restore the existing unit. It is indeed a waste on a new compressor if its not needed. I have machines that I restored 5-6 years ago with original compressors that are still running to this day.

If it needs a compressor replace it with a good quality USA made unit and be done with it! Ive had both Chinese and USA and there IS a difference!!!

I had a 72 in my office for a couple of years with a Chinese compressor that thing would rattle your teeth out when it kicked on, I also put a new restored unit in a 72 last summer that was Built by Erik Mckay out of MD. That was the most quiet unit that I have had. You had to literally put your hand on the machine to see that it was running.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:44 am »

Eric McKay just did a new deck for my WD-5.  I am looking forward to installing it.  It looks great.  I will keep you posted.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:28 am »

From my experiences with Erik, You wont be disapointed!!!

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up