SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 06:36:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new guy needing guidance  (Read 5476 times)
SeanConnor

« on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:26 am »

Hello. My name is Sean and I have just purchased a machine for $250 off of Craigslist. I have searched the forum and have been able to answer most of my questions but I have a couple lingering issues that I couldn't find.

1. First and foremost, there's no plates identifying the machine so I would like to confirm that this is a Vendolator 56. All my research says yes, but I'd just like confirmation from someone that knows.

2. The machine has been repainted but everything seems operational. The locks have been disabled and the coin mechanism is unplugged (it's on my back porch so that's how I'd like it). Before I do anything drastic, would it be a crime to paint this machine different colors and put different logos? I don't want to "destroy" a machine that would better be left as close to original as possible. One day I'd like to go with a Yuengling themed machine.

3. I have disassembled most of the machine to clean and oil it. The one thing I can't get apart is the glass door. There's some spots in there I'd like to clean but I can't seem to get in there. I've removed the door from the machine and have removed the 2 screws at top & bottom.

4. There's some surface oxidation (whitish powder) and minimal rust on the interior of the machine. Normal or does it need a major overhaul?

5. Has anyone ever built a secondary lever system on a bottle machine to make it functional with cans? I've toyed with it a little but I can only get a can to the very front edge of the vending hole. I'm short an inch or two (there's a joke in here somewhere). Like a million other posters, I'd love for my machine to be able to vend both cans and bottles.

Any guidance is appreciated. Even if nobody replies to my questions, I thank you all for the help you've already provided to other members which I learned from, and I thank you for your time in reading my questions.

Thanks, Sean.

p.s. When I preview my post, none of the pictures are showing up. Here's a link to the pictures I'm trying to post plus a few more. https://goo.gl/photos/R8JL3HA6GxvYj8rt8
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:15:57 am »

Yes it is a Vendorlator 56.
They are quite common and would not be a "Sin" to convert this to whatever you like.. it's not like it's a RARE original that should go untouched.. so I'd say make it into whatever you want.
as far as the bottle door, there should just be a few more screws on the side under the hinge plate to remove and it should slide right out.
You will not be able to get this model to vend both bottles and cans. they are two different vend stacks. . you can get a can stack, but you could only do one or the other.
as far as the white powder stuff, it's just oxidation on the galvanized.. nothing a good cleaning won't fix.. but it will reoccur.
if your doing a full restoration , you'll most likely paint or powder coat the interior but that's a whole other conversation.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:42:11 am »

Welcome Sean, you got lucky! That is a very nice looking machine.
      You can change the color as many times as you like, but that is a lot of work.
      My suggestion is to keep this machine as a user until the next one finds you, and that will be the one that begs for new paint!

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:47:13 am »

Welcome to the Site!

I would just enjoy the machine just like the way it is....

These machines easily start to multiple as you get hooked like the rest of us you will eventually find one older needing a refurbishment or restoration!!!
SeanConnor

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:31 pm »

Thank you to all for your quick response and advice. The Yuengling theme paint and logo is a long way off and you're right, this may not be the machine that gets it.

Signguy, just to confirm on the glass door removal... I have removed the 6 screws where the hinge mounts and the 2 screws in the top and bottom of the door, now the glass will just push through the back/inside of the door? I'm trying but it's not moving. If you say there's no internal spring lock or something else I'll push harder but I'm afraid of breaking the glass.

Thanks again to all!
SeanConnor

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »

I got it! There were two things holding me back. First, the screw holes in the top and bottom of the door were recessed into the door and were holding the glass frame in place. A little bit of prying and it started to come free. Second, only 3 sides of the glass frame come out. The side under the handle is part of the door. I outsmarted glass and metal!
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:22:11 pm »

I outsmarted glass and metal!

Don't be so sure, you still have to get it back together!

Just kidding, welcome to the site.  Tons of knowledge and good people here.   You got a good price on a pretty decent looking machine and since you only have a $250 dollar investment, you don't have to worry about messing anything up if you tinker around on it.  As others have said though, the more you dig into these machines, the greater the chance you will find yourself hunting for another one.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SeanConnor

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 06:15:49 pm »

BrianS - I did get it back together, on the second try. Seriously
Pages: [1]   Go Up