SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 07:06:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo HA56E help?  (Read 13024 times)
Andy Jones

« on: April 17, 2015, 01:21:15 pm »

help I just picked up a Vendo HA56E Coke machine at an auction for $150. It was a gamble because it couldn't be tested, but I bit anyway based on it's physical appearance. It is obviously used, but pretty nice - all things considered. I wasn't sure if it was complete, because all the parts were just piled inside. It turned out to be a win.....complete, and she gets real cold! There was a sticky explosion or 10 inside over the years, so much cleaning is in order. I have a couple of questions regarding this machine, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding information (it seems no one likes the "newer" machines). First, when was it made?, second, The coin mech accepts and sorts coins what seems properly, but no matter how many coins I dump in, it won't trigger the vend solenoid. The price label on the machine says $.40, but I'm not sure what it is actually set at,  how to change the price, or how to get it to work at all. There is a switch at the bottom of the mech that empties the coin tubes on the bottom of thethat does work, and the mech makes an audible "click" when the machine is powered up.... help
Andy
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:23:39 pm »

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the site!

It's true that the newer square-top machines aren't as popular/collectible, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.  If you are anything like the rest of us it will be the first of many.

Getting cold is a huge win - that's just about the only thing the average handy-person can't repair themselves - well done!

For cleaning sticky goo I personally like Simple Green - it's cheap, non-toxic, bio-degradable and available in large quantities at most warehouse or big-box home improvements stores.

When it was made... I don't believe there will be a way to tell with certainty beyond "probably late 70's" based on the style.  I don't think there is a secret decoder for the serial numbers on the Vendo square-tops but I could be wrong.

The coin mech looks like a standard Coinco (9800?) mech:   http://rwatts.cdyn.com/download/slug%20rejectors/coinco%20s75%20changers.pdf    That guide should help with setting the price.

If you can reach the solenoid, make sure it isn't 'stuck'.  On my first machine I had to manually actuate it a few times just to free it up.  That click you are hearing is the CREM energizing.

Good luck!

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Andy Jones

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:46:45 pm »

The solenoid was initially stuck, but I freed it up by hand. I haven't really dug into it too deeply yet, other than a quick once over and removing the 1/2" of black soda goo and mummified mouse carcass glued into it from the drain pan. I already have a few toys...a couple of Rowe jukes (R-82 Black Magic & R-84 Prelude) an NSM Digital Thunder, and a 1954 Canteen Cigarette machine from a movie theater lobby I'm currently in the middle of restoring. I'm going to be posting a couple of questions and pics of that one in the proper section soon (it's been put on the back burner for a bit). Thank you for the coinco link! Also, there was an old post regarding a Funtronics repop sign in white for it... HERE:

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,8360.0.html

I don't see parts of any kind for this machine on their site....Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:54:38 pm by Andy Jones » Logged
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:53:16 pm »

Congrats!
My Pepsi machine is a v56. There is a way to tell the year of birth with the serial number. I believe the first number is the last digit of the year. So 6 = 1966.
On mine it matched the paper sticker that had a manufacturing date on it.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:30:38 pm »

PM me your email and I'll send you a PDF of the manual for your machine.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Andy Jones

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »

PM sent. Thx!
How does the door come off of this machine? I have it stripped for a much needed bath, and taking the door off would be a huge help. I thought it would just slide up and off of the hinges, but not so much! Pardon my lack of nomenclature knowledge, but as a newbie, no matter how mechanically inclined, there are some "things" and "whatchamacallits". I need a part or 2 for the can dispensing mechanism. Here goes.... The flap that you lift to retrieve your product is attached to a rod that runs to a pivoting arm at the rear of the framework. The rod is attached to the arm via a rivet, and the arm is held to the framework with a clip. The hole in the rod that the rivet runs through is elongated, allowing the rod to shift rearward, stopping the flap from opening all the way. This is happening on one, but I can see It won't be long before at least 2 others become as severe. Is there a suggested repair for this, or is replacement the only option?  It seems to be the most used brands ( Coke, Barq's, and Sprite). I can't imagine this is an isolated issue... Just general wear from thousands of cycles....
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:14 pm »

"How does the door come off of this machine?"

Remove the end cap on top.

Glen
Andy Jones

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 04:15:58 pm »

They won't come off...I've applied liberal doses of PB blaster and tried to pop them out...no luck. I don't want to ruin the hinge caps.....Since I'm not going full on resto yet, I'll leave them for now and revisit the issue if and when I do actually go full tilt on it. For now, it'll serve it's purpose forcing the "beer locusts" (you know the type - come and hang out until all the beer is gone, then so are they.) to contribute. LOL!
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:23:32 pm »

Hmmmm.....
The door on mine came straight off. Just picked up on it and it slid off both hinges. It did take some pushing the first time. The bottom half of the hinge is just a pin the top (door) sits on.
Andy Jones

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 09:53:52 pm »

That's what I initially figured....but I had no luck....
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:22 pm »

The door on mine came straight off. Just picked up on it and it slid off both hinges. It did take some pushing the first time. The bottom half of the hinge is just a pin the top (door) sits on.
Every machine I've ever owned has been this way. Sometimes they are stubborn, but usually pushing up on the bottom of the door with my foot while wiggling the door back and forth works.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: