SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 07:13:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 63 Restoration. My first machine!  (Read 8381 times)
Evan E

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:04:37 pm »

looking back, I need to learn how to weld.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 03:12:17 pm »

I am with you on the welding.  My machine was also a square-top and my first and I tried POR15 mesh, but it did not really help the larger holes and even after several coats of POR15 paint you could still see the fiberglass strands.  I ended up having to also go from the bottom and use POR15 putty, but of course this is not smooth at all as I found it hard to sand.  So from the top there is no issues as it is covered by the tub and from the bottom you can see it, but have to be looking for it.  I should have welded a new piece, but like all first restorations I was way over budget by the time I got to this part!!!   Yours looks great.
Evan E

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 03:31:10 pm »

Thank you very much.
I've been pretty lucky and over time I've gotten to learn how to use I wide range of materials and techniques that have gotten me through all the projects I've attempted. Unfortunately, welding is one of the few things I've always been really interested in but haven't had a chance to learn. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon.

On many of my projects I make a rule that I have to do it all alone. I'll take advice wherever I can but only I get to touch it. This does tend to slow me down often but there's no better way to learn.

These patches were probably not the most efficient way to go about it but hey did come out really strong and smooth.

After about a week of sanding glare
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »

Very nice, my 63 is my favorite machine.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: