SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 07:04:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Machine with Bad Compressor  (Read 11169 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:48 pm »

I've got a lead on a machine that the seller claims looks pretty good on the outside, but the compressor is bad-grounded out. I don't have a picture of it at the moment.

It's not located right out my front door, but it's not 1,000 miles away either. I don't think I could afford an overhaul of the system already in it, but I'm thinking I might could find a working "beater" machine to swap another complete system into it.

When a compressor fails like this, do they often take fans and wiring or components for the lights and vending out with them? Is a machine with a bad compressor even worth attempting a swap like this?

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:40 pm »

Assuming this is the machine you have been looking for, yes go get it.
       The idea of a beater is right on track.
       I picked up 3 rusted out 56's this weekend for just that purpose.
       Pulling 3 working compressors, bottle stacks and complete sets of shelves then off to scrap they go.

Glen
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:45 pm »

Agreed, I have purchased machines in the past and done the same, buy a >$100 machine, grab the compressor, shelves, bottle stack, and bezels if you're lucky to get them and call it an even deal.  If you're looking at a Cavalier machine, see if you can find a donor that has the light up sign, that can bring some money as well.

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »

I'm not certain it's what I'm looking for yet, stylistically. If it is and it looks okay I'll probably see if I the seller will talk turkey.

How hard would the swap be to do? Will I need an assistant?
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:49:07 pm »

How hard would the swap be to do? Will I need an assistant?

Depends what she looks like!

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:07 pm »

Depends what she looks like!

I'm thinking it's a Cavalier slant shelf that will vend cans or bottles- will that system take two people for a swap?

I find it amazing that most of the early Cav's have lighted signs, but nearly all of the later ones don't.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:53:44 pm by Pixel » Logged
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:03:18 am »

I meant the 'assistant'!!!!   Oo wow

Seriously though, they aren't too hard to pull out of the machines, weight-wise it's not a problem but keeping the top deck secure is the main concern.  It helps to have a second set of hands to pull the full unit out at once, but I have done it several times by myself.  If you're doing a quick transfer in a close vicinity, you can gently rest the evaporator unit ensuring you don't bend or pinch lines and transfer to the new machine.  If it's going to sit for a while, you should build a stand for it, very easy to do with some scrap 2x4's and plywood.  I used a plastic lawn chair side table to hold one of mine up, worked perfect for a transfer.

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:08 am »

I kind of thought you were talking about the assistant, but wasn't sure. I doubt I could find a pretty girl willing to help me with something like that.  tounge  biggrin

How does the compressor deck as a whole wire into the machine? You have a wiring harness to the evaporator fan, I know. Also, as best I can tell the compressor itself plugs into a junction block on the primary harness. What am I missing, wiring wise?

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:10 am »

If it's a Cavalier, then you have the main block on the lower right hand side of the upper unit to work with.  I'll see if I can find a photo, or grab one in the garage tomorrow.  The block has spade terminals, so you can pull out the ones you need to separate the thermostat and evap fan from the rest of the electrical (stack vending switches).  Just take photos and pay attention to what you are pulling off, but it should be only 4 black wires from that block.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:18:43 am by tkaz » Logged

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:37:10 am »

Oh no, just 1 power wire from the compressor unit feeds that junction box.
       Un plug that, remove 2 bolts from the compressor base, 2 screws for the line cover and 4 screws holding down the evaporator.
       Even a first timer could do this in 10 minutes.................unless any of these fasteners have excessive rust.  darn

Glen
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: