SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 09:52:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Hard  (Read 10670 times)
buschgator
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:27:11 pm »

Gents,

As some of you may have seen in my posts recently, I just got my first machine.  So today I went through and just gave it a good cleaning from top to bottom.  In the meantime I plugged it in and let it start cooling down.  After about 30 or 45 minutes of cooling, the sound softened to what I would compare with a normal hum of a refrigerator.  Then about 15 minutes later it went back to the louder sound as if it was running hard to cool down.  It hasn't stopped since.  Its been running pretty hard now for probably about an hour or more.  Please let me know what your thoughts are in your experience.  Is anything wrong?  Anything I need to check?  or is this just normal.

Thanks!

-Ryan
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:42:36 pm »

Ryan,
Something is wrong. Should only kick in for 10 minutes or so and then turn off. A bad T-stat is where I would start. Damage may occur if it runs too long.
Creighton
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:37 pm »

I would have to agree with Creighton on this one ,
Start out with the T- stat also you may want to replace those
fan motors  Oo.
buschgator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »

Ok so now my ignorance of these machines starts to become apparent.  How do I check the T-stat and how do I know if thats the problem?  This could be the beginning of frustration for a guy that isn't familiar with any aspect of his new hobby.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:15 pm »

Ryan,
These machines are a bit intimidating at first. The nice thing is once they are fixed will work for a very long time.  Try the search function for info on thermostat testing. If it hasn't been replaced in a few years it should be, as well as the upper and lower fans. These parts are available from the board sponsors. Any questions just ask!!
Creighton
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:44:47 pm »

Yeah Ryan do your best to not be intimidated. Trust me I don't know much either! Usually the first thing most of us do is replace the fans. If your working on it anyways, it is always a good idea and they aren't too expensive. The thermostat can be a little more expensive. I always replace it anyways, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. The wires on both are nonpolar so it is an easy fix. The thermostat is basically responsible for telling the compressor when to come on. If you search for earlier threads, it explains it in detail.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:20 am »

Pulling the whole compressor is easy too. It makes replacing everything much easier.
Remove the line cover and then 3-4 screws by the evaporator and 1-3 bolts on the compressor plate. You should build some sort of stand to rest the evaporator assembly on after it is removed from the machine (search for previous threads on this subject). I have simply used a small patio set side table I have.
Being your first machine, I would also highly suggest getting a manual for your machine (if available) as it will greatly aide in identifying parts and procedures. You can get one from one of the sponsors.
Good luck and ask any and eveery thing!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 01:26:18 am »

I have to agree that it is always a good idea to replace the fans and T-Stat. those are the most common problems and they are cheep. While you have it apart you might as well change them.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 06:51:52 am »

Did you put a thermometer inside to see if it is cooling and how far down its going? Is the machine empty or loaded?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
buschgator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:24:32 am »

The machine currently only has about 6 bottles of coke inside.  I will stick a thermometer in there and find out what temp its getting down too.  After I test that, I'll probably order a manual and try to work on the t-stat and fans the previous guys have mentioned.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: