SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 03:38:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V-56 compressor.  (Read 8154 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: August 14, 2006, 01:47:13 pm »

Over the weekend I've been a bit busy. I tidyed up the re-fridgeration unit and put some power to it. Both fans are working fine but the compressor doesn't appear to have kicked in. I ran it for about 30 minutes outside the unit in my garage but the compressor unit didn't warm up at all and nothing started to get cold.

Help, what do I do know.....? Do I need a 3 in 1 ? If so I can 't work out how the thing would get wired up. I've had three vendo's and each one of them has had a different compressor. Thsi one, I can see where the three tabs connect but unlike my last 39 there just isn't one three pronged plug on this one there are two.

Would a 3 in 1 kick start a compressor?? Or should I just get a professional to look at it (That's if I can find one that will go anywhere near it)

Here is a picture of what I have.

Any help as always greatly appreciated.
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:44:25 pm »

Dave,

A 3in1 would probably work fine.  They are designed to help older systems.  You could have a bad relay.  Keep us posted and others may have better ideas to see if you can get it to kick on.  Let me know if I can help in any way.  I can probably get a 3in1 for about $11 US + postage.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:48:48 pm »

Quote (90grad @ Aug. 14 2006,4:44)
Dave,

A 3in1 would probably work fine.  They are designed to help older systems.  You could have a bad relay.  Keep us posted and others may have better ideas to see if you can get it to kick on.  Let me know if I can help in any way.  I can probably get a 3in1 for about $11 US + postage.

Remember that the B'man is on 220 Volts in England, unless he's using a stepdown transformer on this one.

looks like quite the mess of wiring , it looks like the start/run relay is located just under the compressors terminal guard?

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 06:13:07 pm »

Dave/Johnie,

I think Dave uses step-downs on his machines.  He's spoken of that before.  Also, I just thought of something.  The VMC56 bottle machine I just put together had fully functional start/run and overload relays.  I am now using a 3in1 and don't need the other relays.  They are just sitting in my basement.

So, two questions:

1. Will the relays I have work in Dave's machine?

2. If the answer is YES, Dave you can have them for the cost of shipping.  Just let me know!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 06:36:29 pm »

Here are the parts I have.  I am not sure which is which.  I think the thing on the right is the overload relay (?), but I'm sure some one here can identify.  Regardless, would either of these work for Dave?  If not, Dave, I can get you a 3in1 if you need it.  I'll go to the same place as last time.  I think it was $10.50 or something like that.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:14:19 am »

Johnie - Yep I have it plugged up to a rather large stepdown transformer. So I'm okay there.

Wayne - Your bits look very similar to what I have on my compressor at the moment. Its in the garage and its still quite dark but I can make out those bits. I would like to install a 3 in 1 but unlike the V-39 both of you were kind enough to help me out with the last time its not just as simple as removing one plug and fitting the leads. Wayne I would be very interested in seeing how you managed to wire yours up.

Johnie - You are right about the wires. I will be getting a harness from Funtronics when I finally make my big order. I was just curoius to see if I could kick start it.

Wayne - If you could get me a 3 in 1 again that would be just great.

Thanks Chaps

you are top men.

Dave
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 05:19:27 am »

No problem, Dave.  I will stop by the store today and place the order.  We'll get you wired up.  You'll be able to eliminate both of the old relays you have and use the 3in1.  The only other thing you'll have to do is wire in the leads to the condenser fan to the common and run terminals.  I can give you the stuff to do that, along with some pictures.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 02:21:01 pm »

Hi Ya Wayne - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I changed ISP and now can't get my broadband connection or access my e-mail. Fifteen calls to the Indian Call Centre and still no luck.

Anyway your 3 in 1 arrived. Thanks so much. Thanks also for the wiring instructions.
I hope I have wired this thing up correct. What I'm going to do is run through with you what I did.

I removed all the bits so that all I was left with is the three pins going straight into the machine. So removed the relay and overload. (Is that right or should they have remained in the wiring) I then connected your three in one as indicated.

Some pictures.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 02:30:06 pm »

The compressor appears to be working of sorts. I haven't got it installed in the cabinet yet so how do I know if it is doing its job. Both fans come on. The top one constantly. The bottom one kicks in and out (like the V-39) and the compressor appears to be getting warm. The bottom fan stays off for a few minutes and then kicks back in again but because its not enclosed I guess there won't be a true reading from the T-STAT.
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 06:29:14 pm »

Hey Dave,

Glad the stuff arrived in good order.  With the 3 in 1, you don't need the relays you removed.  Those are built into the 3 in 1.

The top fan (evaporator fan) should run all the time.  As far as whether or not the thing is cooling....
If you have the cooling unit sitting out of the cabinet in the regular air, the compressor should come on and stay on.  The stat would be reading the temperature of the room and tell the compressor to kick on to cool the place down.  Naturally, since it isn't in an enclosed machine, it won't cool down the room, but should run for a while.  But, after a few minutes of constant running, you should see frost on some of the evaporator coils.  Got any frost?

I guessed on the pin configuration of your compressor.  Do you know the manufacturer of it?  With that paper I sent you, that would tell you which pin is which.  However, looking at your original pictures above in the message thread told me the top pin is the common pin.  I was thinking you have a GE compressor, which is what I used to determine the order of the other two pins.  Are there any markings anywhere on the deck?  My guess is you've got it connected properly.

Anyone else have ideas for Dave?

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:32 am »

Hi Ya

No frost I'm afraid. It ran for a while and then the compressor kicked out and after 5 mins kick back in. It might be the overide doing that.
I can't see a mkae for the compressor. Although the model number is VT17. Looking in the bundle of papers Creighton gave me that is the original Compressor that came with the machine. But in the bundle it doesn't say who supplied Vendo.

The compressor now gets warm. Something it didn't do before the 3 in 1. I'm guessing it might need a re-charge. I left it running for about 45 mins, do you think that is sufficent time to allow it to frost up?? My V-39'S took about that time to get cold but they were enclosed.

Dave
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 02:20:54 am »

The compressor was made by Tecumseh I believe (nicknamed a pancake compressor because of the shape). It is the same type used in all the VMC27 Tabletop machines and same set-up as a lot of square top 56's.

I left it running for about 45 mins, do you think that is sufficent time to allow it to frost up?

You should be able to feel the line get cold within minutes.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 10:24:28 am »

Hi Tom

thanks for the info. I do have it wired correctly to the 3 in 1. I'll just have to wait until the cabinet has been put back together and try again. The compressor is getting warm and it doing a lot more now than it did prior to 3 in 1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
that it just needs a re-gas.

DAVE
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 10:33:20 am »

Dave,

Could you get it charged while it is still out?  It might be a little easier that way.  Plus, you'd be able to test it again before installation.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 10:46:59 am »

Hi Wayne

will have to make a few enquires. Not sure even who to contact to get it done. Will have to let my fingers do the walking with the Yellow Pages
90grad
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 05:00:01 am »

Dave,

I'm the furthest thing from a refrigeration guy, but one question I'd have is why is it low on charge?  I realize it's an old system, but if the seals were good, shouldn't it have pressure?  I guess I'd wanna know if there is a leak somewhere.  Again, some one like Eric could answer this better.

As far as getting some one to work on it, I don't know the laws over there with working on freon-charged systems.  Over here, there are a lot of regulations.  If you can't find anyone through the Yellow Pages, you may also have luck by asking friends if they know anyone who does HVAC work and see if they want to make some $$ on the side.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up