SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 08:53:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMC 81 Generic or is it??  (Read 7715 times)
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 09:23:48 pm »

Are you asking why I looked inside the door at all? smile

Another member mentioned that he had seen several VMC "generic" doors over the years with their embossing flattened because in the 80's, RC and 7up machines just didn't sell that well! I was curious if this might be one of them! This was an 80's restoration.

Once I saw the body filler, I wanted to know why someone would have had the need to put that on the inside- that just didn't make sense to me. Unless perhaps... there were something under it. Therein lies the suspense- it got my attention this morning!
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 09:44:35 pm »

Yeah that's definitely suspect, but curious as to why would they put Bondo on the inside of the door after they flatten it, unless they were trying to make it look like a true generic for some reason.

I'd think soda blasting the area might reveal what it might of been if anything, but is there any good solution after you find out it's been smashed in?  I know a 7-up machine is worth a pretty penny, but is it even possible to bring that embossing back to retain the value?

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »

Yes its possible. A restorer in Missouri has brought back several cokes from the grave after they were smashed in. Once done it was very very hard to tell they were victim to a case of beer, a BFH, and a bad idea.

Bottling plants did a lot of funny stuff with these machines. Ive found Coca Cola 6 Case verticals with tin RC signs over the embossing, converted to large coin door mechanical machines. Was lucky enough to even have VMC bezels on them.

A buddy of mine his grandfather worked for 7up / RC in north west Arkansas. While growing up he fondly remembers a 7up 81 laying on its side. It was gutted and a large hole cut in the main front door and it was used as a dog house.

I know several old timers 20+ veterans in the hobby who all talk about the oddball machines 7up Pepsi RC etc that were restored into Coke as back in the day no one wanted anything but Coke.

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »

I don't see why anyone would have taken the time to bondo the inside either.  But after so many years, there is no way to know. 

Maybe it took someone's money and got dented in a fit of rage. 
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »

Are you asking why I looked inside the door at all?

No, just a general statement..
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:08 pm »

What coin bezel is on it?  I can't tell for sure in the pic. It looks like a Vendo one though.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:37 am »

What coin bezel is on it?  I can't tell for sure in the pic. It looks like a Vendo one though.

Good Eye!
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:27 am »

Great comments! Great eye on the bezel! It is a Vendo bezel but I have an extra VMC bezel so that's no problem. it was priced fairly even with the wrong bezel. It will be "stock" and technically correct when I am done with it.

Here are photos of what was underneath the bondo and it turns out it is a true Generic- the holes for mounting the exterior signs are what was under the masking tape and filler. See the areas in the photos within the squares. I sanded down to bare metal on a great portion of top and have satisfied myself that there is nothing under that bondo. It has been speculated that the thin layer of inside mud was added to perhaps to stabilze the top area and keep it from oil-canning or flexing and to keep the mud where it was added to fill in the sign mounting holes.

I'm really happy that I didn't find flattened Pepsi embossing under the bondo!

If anyone knows where I can find a set of Dr. Pepper signs for it please let me know!!!

B.

GreenMo
25 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 07:30:47 pm »

I've owned a several generics and I've seen more than one with screw hole filler on the inside!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: