SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 05:26:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-mix and Post- mix  (Read 25882 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: March 07, 2008, 03:03:49 pm »

What's the difference between a pre-mix machine vs a post-mix machine?  Does a pre mix, mix all the ingrediants (gas,water, and syrup) before it dispenses?  Does a Post mix , mix while dispensing? 

A lot of stuff.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »

A pre-mix machine uses larger 5-gallon stainless steel pressure tank(s) that hold the pre-mixed ratio of syrup & water that then you hook into the machine via some quick-connects to the appropriate lines feeding that flavor selection(s) , then the machine supplies the C02 for carbonation & pressure feeding it to (again) the proper port for that flavor. some machines have a chipped ice maker built in , or simply chills the soda-pop  before it's delivered to the cup.

A post mix system also uses C02 to supply the carbonated chilled/water but the mixing doesn't occure until the syrup ( supplied by a "bag-in-box" syrup supply) reaches the deliver nozzles ( just like at McDonalds today) the ratio of syrup to water is controlled at the nozzle ( called the "brix" asjustment)

So basically, one "pre-mixes" the soda before delivery, & the other "Post-mixes" it at the point of delivery.

the older pre-mix tanks are now quite popular for home brewing beer now a days too!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:33:39 pm »

So basically, one "pre-mixes" the soda before delivery, & the other "Post-mixes" it at the point of delivery.

the older pre-mix tanks are now quite popular for home brewing beer now a days too!

Very interesting topic, this has always confused me too.
      So Johnie, was there an advantage of one method over another?

Glen
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:06:32 pm »

Thanks Johnie for the explanation.  Gee, you could almost just put regular soda in it.  When it gets flat, recarbante it. biggrin

I am trying to get ideas for my Mills.  I will eventually, perhaps one day, work on it.  I added a picture of the syrup cylinder.  It has one access port and some gizmo (technical term) in the back.  I have the machine blocked up right now and I can't get to it.  I can only go off the picture.  If I remember correctly, the lid didn't have any locking mech.  I can't see it holding any pressure?Huh?

Any ideas on how this works??  Still looking for a manual hopefull

A lot of stuff.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »

Arrgh!   veryangry I just finished typing about three paragraghs of reply & the  a$#@!   reply window decided to delete everything just to "remind" me that someone was posting a reply as I was trying to submit mine!  darn, Jim's got to fix this stupid glitch, it also erases all of your reply if you try to post a picture that's too big, so when you hit the "back" button it offers, BAM, all of your typed reply is dumped into la-la land. this "bug" is really starting tick me off!  darn darn it needs a buffered scratch pad area that autosaves as you type. I've had other folks say the same thing happens to them if the dont remember to manually save a "draft" copy before they attempt to post.

anyway, I'll follow up tomorrow, it's been a long day anyway...JohnieG
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:25:35 pm by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »

Thanks Johnie for the explanation.  Gee, you could almost just put regular soda in it.  When it gets flat, recarbante it. biggrin

I am trying to get ideas for my Mills.  I will eventually, perhaps one day, work on it.  I added a picture of the syrup cylinder.  It has one access port and some gizmo (technical term) in the back.  I have the machine blocked up right now and I can't get to it.  I can only go off the picture.  If I remember correctly, the lid didn't have any locking mech.  I can't see it holding any pressure?Huh?

Any ideas on how this works??  Still looking for a manual hopefull

your tank isnt pressurized, it's just a holding tank, just like a soda-fountian dispencer, this machine kind of siphon-feeds the syrup into the delivery nozzel along the way then combines it with the carbonated water, into the cup, the problem with this type ( & other failed attempts by glasco) is keeping the specific gravity ( thickness) of the syrup consistant between batches, this problem lead to the development of the pre-mix tank, filled at the bottler ( better quality control) than a tight-wad owner who would water down the syrup to save a buck, & ruin the delivered product. plus you have to remember, who was supposed to keep that tank clean? 

it would'nt be impossible to adapt it to the tank-type delivery system, since it's a one-flavor machine (Coke)

11 is louder than 10...
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 12:20:31 am »

Hi Johnie!  I feel your pain darn  I have had all my writings disapear too.  Usually, it was because the photo was to large.  I forced the habit of copying everything before I post it.

Thanks for the extra reply!!

Question:  Is the soda bags different than the mix that I will need?  What mix do I need?  The soda bags are just syrup....correct?

Do you mix water and a syrup bag or do you buy a jug of syrup and mix a 5 to 1 ratio?? (5 0z water to 1 oz of syrup)Huh?

A lot of stuff.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:39:35 am »

Thanks Johnie!!
I have always wondered about this as well. I've lost reply posts as well.
Creighton
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:19:25 am »

One more question that seems to have an obvious answer.  Is carbon dioxide all the same, or is there a food grade co2?  I know there is a diffrence between the oxygen used in an oxy-acetelyne tank ad the oxygen people carry with them to breathe.

A lot of stuff.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:58 am »

I always had my CO2 tanks for my kegerator filled at a fire extinguisher company. It was cheep and worked great. I think I got that idea from someone here.
pepsibob
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 03:20:32 pm »

Hi to answer the ? about c02 yes there  is  different types use only food grade dont get from welding supply etc it contains oil food grade is filtered ..You will notices a oil film on top of soda and beer f u dont use food grade
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:06:01 pm »

Thanks PepsiBob,

Can you answer the question on syrup?  Is the syrup in pre mix and post mix the same, or is the pre mixed syrup already watered down with the ratio 5 oz of water to 1 oz of syrup?   For post mix I believe it is straight syrup in the box and the water and gas mix together with the syrup while it is dispensed, as Johnie mentioned earlier.

Thanks,

Larry

A lot of stuff.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 07:24:28 pm »

Hi Johnie!  I feel your pain darn  I have had all my writings disapear too.  Usually, it was because the photo was to large.  I forced the habit of copying everything before I post it.

Thanks for the extra reply!!

Question:  Is the soda bags different than the mix that I will need?  What mix do I need?  The soda bags are just syrup....correct?

Do you mix water and a syrup bag or do you buy a jug of syrup and mix a 5 to 1 ratio?? (5 0z water to 1 oz of syrup)Huh?

It's 5:1 for regular soda,  &   5.4/5.5:1 for diet soda

11 is louder than 10...
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 09:33:30 pm »

[OFF TOPIC FOR THIS THREAD]
I feel your pain darn  I have had all my writings disapear too.  Usually, it was because the photo was to large.  I forced the habit of copying everything before I post it.

I'll be looking into this and post what I find... Hopefully, I'll have a solution that will correct this issue...

My six cents,

Jim

dapperhandyman
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:08:47 am »

I have a pre mix mech. I feel my tanks with 2 letter bottles. It takes 9 2 letters to feel one tank. You don't realy save any money this way, but hay the bottling comp is about 60 miles from my house ,so in the long run it works out.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 11:20:17 am »

How long do the soda from the 2 liter bottles stay good? I would love to have a setup at my house.
dapperhandyman
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 04:48:33 pm »

The CO2 tank keeps the soda under pressure, so does not go flat.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:35:03 pm by johnieG » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: