SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 12:04:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-mix and Post- mix  (Read 25877 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: March 07, 2008, 03:03:49 pm »

What's the difference between a pre-mix machine vs a post-mix machine?  Does a pre mix, mix all the ingrediants (gas,water, and syrup) before it dispenses?  Does a Post mix , mix while dispensing? 

A lot of stuff.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »

A pre-mix machine uses larger 5-gallon stainless steel pressure tank(s) that hold the pre-mixed ratio of syrup & water that then you hook into the machine via some quick-connects to the appropriate lines feeding that flavor selection(s) , then the machine supplies the C02 for carbonation & pressure feeding it to (again) the proper port for that flavor. some machines have a chipped ice maker built in , or simply chills the soda-pop  before it's delivered to the cup.

A post mix system also uses C02 to supply the carbonated chilled/water but the mixing doesn't occure until the syrup ( supplied by a "bag-in-box" syrup supply) reaches the deliver nozzles ( just like at McDonalds today) the ratio of syrup to water is controlled at the nozzle ( called the "brix" asjustment)

So basically, one "pre-mixes" the soda before delivery, & the other "Post-mixes" it at the point of delivery.

the older pre-mix tanks are now quite popular for home brewing beer now a days too!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:33:39 pm »

So basically, one "pre-mixes" the soda before delivery, & the other "Post-mixes" it at the point of delivery.

the older pre-mix tanks are now quite popular for home brewing beer now a days too!

Very interesting topic, this has always confused me too.
      So Johnie, was there an advantage of one method over another?

Glen
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:06:32 pm »

Thanks Johnie for the explanation.  Gee, you could almost just put regular soda in it.  When it gets flat, recarbante it. biggrin

I am trying to get ideas for my Mills.  I will eventually, perhaps one day, work on it.  I added a picture of the syrup cylinder.  It has one access port and some gizmo (technical term) in the back.  I have the machine blocked up right now and I can't get to it.  I can only go off the picture.  If I remember correctly, the lid didn't have any locking mech.  I can't see it holding any pressure?Huh?

Any ideas on how this works??  Still looking for a manual hopefull

A lot of stuff.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »

Arrgh!   veryangry I just finished typing about three paragraghs of reply & the  a$#@!   reply window decided to delete everything just to "remind" me that someone was posting a reply as I was trying to submit mine!  darn, Jim's got to fix this stupid glitch, it also erases all of your reply if you try to post a picture that's too big, so when you hit the "back" button it offers, BAM, all of your typed reply is dumped into la-la land. this "bug" is really starting tick me off!  darn darn it needs a buffered scratch pad area that autosaves as you type. I've had other folks say the same thing happens to them if the dont remember to manually save a "draft" copy before they attempt to post.

anyway, I'll follow up tomorrow, it's been a long day anyway...JohnieG
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:25:35 pm by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »

Thanks Johnie for the explanation.  Gee, you could almost just put regular soda in it.  When it gets flat, recarbante it. biggrin

I am trying to get ideas for my Mills.  I will eventually, perhaps one day, work on it.  I added a picture of the syrup cylinder.  It has one access port and some gizmo (technical term) in the back.  I have the machine blocked up right now and I can't get to it.  I can only go off the picture.  If I remember correctly, the lid didn't have any locking mech.  I can't see it holding any pressure?Huh?

Any ideas on how this works??  Still looking for a manual hopefull

your tank isnt pressurized, it's just a holding tank, just like a soda-fountian dispencer, this machine kind of siphon-feeds the syrup into the delivery nozzel along the way then combines it with the carbonated water, into the cup, the problem with this type ( & other failed attempts by glasco) is keeping the specific gravity ( thickness) of the syrup consistant between batches, this problem lead to the development of the pre-mix tank, filled at the bottler ( better quality control) than a tight-wad owner who would water down the syrup to save a buck, & ruin the delivered product. plus you have to remember, who was supposed to keep that tank clean? 

it would'nt be impossible to adapt it to the tank-type delivery system, since it's a one-flavor machine (Coke)

11 is louder than 10...
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 12:20:31 am »

Hi Johnie!  I feel your pain darn  I have had all my writings disapear too.  Usually, it was because the photo was to large.  I forced the habit of copying everything before I post it.

Thanks for the extra reply!!

Question:  Is the soda bags different than the mix that I will need?  What mix do I need?  The soda bags are just syrup....correct?

Do you mix water and a syrup bag or do you buy a jug of syrup and mix a 5 to 1 ratio?? (5 0z water to 1 oz of syrup)Huh?

A lot of stuff.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:39:35 am »

Thanks Johnie!!
I have always wondered about this as well. I've lost reply posts as well.
Creighton
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:19:25 am »

One more question that seems to have an obvious answer.  Is carbon dioxide all the same, or is there a food grade co2?  I know there is a diffrence between the oxygen used in an oxy-acetelyne tank ad the oxygen people carry with them to breathe.

A lot of stuff.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:58 am »

I always had my CO2 tanks for my kegerator filled at a fire extinguisher company. It was cheep and worked great. I think I got that idea from someone here.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: