SMC Discussion Areas
May 05, 2024, 06:01:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripping apart my Dole Jr.... Not an easy job, HELP  (Read 7859 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: December 20, 2007, 11:33:47 pm »

I am starting to rip into my Dole Jr the other day, Picked it up in Chicago, and for the price it was in OK condition, restorable... or at least that is what I thought... there is a sizable dent that I figured I could fix. Just simply take out the liner and bingo knock it out , putty a bid, sand and paint and reassemble... well not that easy... How the heck do you get, or can you get the liner out of these things... I'm starting to think that maybe they are tarred in there, at least on the bottom like the cooling coils of a Slider?
Anyone successfully taken one out and how...I just want to get the liner out so  I push out the dents and restore... does not have to be functional afterwards, so if I must break something, I'll do it as long as it's on the inside..
Any help will be appreciated.
here is the pic of the dispenser... I like it, but it needs resto.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:04 am »

Sounds easier to drill a few small holes and pull the dents out, or a bodyshop
will have a way to weld studs into low spots then pull out the dent and grind the stud off.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:56:31 am »

I am thinking your right glen... just thought I'd see if anyone has tackled one of these yet?
But that is the next step, as this liner is NOT even budging.... Guessing they weren't made to be taken apart...

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:32:17 am »

We'll persistence paid off... after about 4 hours swearing at this thing last night. They say where there is a will there is a way... I figured there was alot tar in there ,just not sure how much.. I put it outside for few days to get it nice and cold, then took a hammer after the one exposed area on the bottom where the tar was showing. hit it witha hammer a few times and it shatterd exposing a nut and bolt holding the whole liner in. removed that and more wacks with a hammer it started to move... then got hung up again as the insulation was tared to theside of the liner and inner shell so had to break it all looose with a peice of flat metal stock, kept pulling and pulling and then had to heat up a solder join that held on a sleeve that stuck out where the handle connected to the inside mechansim, that came off with a little heat, then WALLA.. the thing slide out!... here are the photos of the tar that was in it... These where NOT meant to be dissambled at all.. But now that it's out I can restore the shell...

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:03:58 am »

Wow! Great job on getting that thing apart. You just gotta love old manufacturing techniques. Like you said, they never intended that dispenser to come back apart.

That thing is gonna look awesome when you get it done. Was this an Ebay trapping?

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:51:36 am »

THanks,
It was a bear to get apart... I have the lid and stand sandblasted now, getting the main body cleaned up now...
I picked this up in Chicago this last fall... It's a heavy sucker... just as Eric... he carried it for me to my car as I had an arm full of other stuff!
Thanks

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:19:32 am »

Just a question.........your torch would not melt that tar?

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 01:46:44 pm »

Yeah, once i had access to it... the tar was on the inside and didn't know what I was going to find if any at all, until I got it apart...
but it's easier to get it cold... It's 3 degrees today so it sits outside and it breaks off like ice ... easier to clean up..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: