SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 02:07:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation  (Read 4210 times)
« on: August 23, 2002, 08:26:48 am »

Hi To All:

I have been going to Home Depot to buy their house insulation for replacement of the old insulation I have taken out of my Sliders and Vendo machines. Now I am thinking maybe I should be using something more specific to refrigeration for these pop machines. I have been using a R-19 value with face.  

What should I be using and where might I purchase it? I want to stick as close to original specifications as I can when appropriate.

What do the big boys in Soda Machine Restoration use?

Thanks for your help.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 01:03:00 pm »

r-19 seems rather thick to me. I believe it's supposed to be 6-1/2" right? While I haven't had a huge number apart I've never seen one with that kind of insulation space, it's usually more like 2 inches. Cramming all that insulation into a 2" cavity wouldn't even work as well as the proper sized stuff ~r-8 and not even close to r-19. Facing won't help here at all, at least the poor facing that comes on insulation.

So, in short, the r-19 is ok if the space is really that big, if it isn't you should use appropriate insulation for the actual space. if the space is small like 2" you can buy smaller quantities of the proper thickness from mcmaster carr. If you really feel ambitious and wealthy there are better insulators than fiberglass / rock wool which are also available in appropriate thicknesses.

Nate
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 02:10:11 pm »

Thanks Nate

Yes the R-16 is 6 inches thick. I used it because I did not know any better and I thought the higher value would be good. The reason I used the face insulation was because it was easier to install and hold in place with my Slider when I put the machine tank/bed back in.

Also when refacing my Vendo 83 I noticed that the insulation behind the tank outer wall was originally doubled and I had plenty of room for insulation in that area.

Who is mcmaster and where are they located. Do they have a web site? Or is this something one can usually find locally?

Does anyone know of any books on pop machine restoration?

Thanks again and I will take your advise and slim down on the insulation.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 02:19:29 pm »

Mcmaster is at www.mcmaster.com They are an industrial supply outfit with an extensive line. go to their site and do a search for insulation or fiberglass insulation. The kraft paper facing wont cause any harm and if it makes your life easier then use it. As for finding this stuff locally, depending on where you are I doubt you'll find it. These guys are quick and easy to deal with.

Nate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: