SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 10:47:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 39 door lock  (Read 6088 times)
« on: July 12, 2002, 11:03:06 am »

I aquired a Vendo 39 about a year ago and have yet to decide how to get inside.  The original key is missing.  I had a local locksmith cut a new key according to the code on the lock.  It did not work.  He did say that the company that made those locks is no longer in business or was taken over by another company - something like that.  So - any ideas on how I get inside?  Should I go ahead and have a locksmith come out and open it as well as make me a working key?  I don't want to force anything open or damage the lock.  Also, is it possible that the mechanism inside the machine might be rusted tight and therefore won't open?  I don't have any idea what the lock system looks like from the inside.  Thanks!

TicToc
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 02:54:18 pm »

Does the lock have any letters/numbers on it and if so, what are they?  You may be able to purchase a new key to open the coin door lock.

If the latter proves no good, you could always drill out the lock and replace it with a new one similar to the original from one of the Parts Suppliers listed in the Parts Suppliers Section

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2002, 04:22:49 pm »

Here is a picture of the lock.  Any ideas where I might be able to buy a key?  The number on the lock is "V E 8 5 3" if it's not clear in the picture.  I'm just starting to research how to clean the machine up without damaging it so I can bring it in from the garage.  After all, it deserves to be IN the house, now doesn't it?

Thanks!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 07:59:55 am »

I don't think anyone is reproducing keys for the Rockford Series of locks...  I could be wrong though...

Check with one of the Parts Suppliers to see if they have these available...  If that fails, then just drill out the center of the lock, turn the cam to unlock the coin door.  Then I would replace it with a new from one of the Parts Suppliers

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 08:04:16 am »

Thanks for the info.  I'll do some checking around and let you know how it goes.

-tictoc
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 12:21:30 am »

Longshot but worth a try before drilling the vintage lock. Lightly sand the teeth of the new key with fine emory paper and wipe clean. Then use small amounts of liquid graphite and the key to get graphite into the tumblers. With any luck and some gentle jiggling (sp?) the lock may open.

Plan B would be to pick the lock but that is beyond my limited knowledge.
cjs
Pat Pixley
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 09:56:44 pm »

Boy that sound Like a lot of work for a $6 to $12 lock from
Funtronics or Soda Ware .I would drill it out , The Rockford
company is no longer in business.

Put a new lock in that way you will have two new keys.and
a new lock that works well together and you don't have to
worry. That is what I would do.

Pat P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print