SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 11:19:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member - V-39 project  (Read 4101 times)
wrkey

« on: April 03, 2012, 09:52:36 am »

Greetings!

New member with a new project!  I have several projects I have done in the past on various coin op machines (pinballs, jukebox, skee ball, slot machine, pachinko, etc.) and when I came across this V-39 I couldn't pass it up.  It was at an estate sale and it had been sitting the garage for years.  Obviously a University of Texas fan (poor souls) as it was painted burnt orange some years ago.

I've included a few before photos so you can see the condition I found her in.  The wiring had been replaced years ago but that wire had deteriorated.  All the  cosmetic and functional parts appears to be intact.

I have since rewired it and after doing so plugged her in and she fired right up.  Cooled as it should and the thermostat turned the system on and off as needed.  Woo hoo!  I then 'rebuilt' the coin mechs.  The photos don't show the coin validator but it is now in working condition and accepts dimes and nickels.  The machine can be set to 5, 10 or 15 cents or free vend and it all now works.  I did have to straighten out a few pieces and clean up the swivel post but all it is good.

Now that I have the fridgeration system working and I know the vending process works I am working on the appearance.  I am in the process of media blasting the outside and will be painting it all red.  I have ordered and received the decals to put her back as original.... as can be.  I also have all new gaskets for her as well.

I do have a couple of questions for the experts here:

1.  How much is this machine in her current condition; cooling and vending but ugly?
2.  Once painted and all the replacement gaskets and decals installed, how much worth then?
3.  Inside is a water cooling coil that I have not see in other photos.  Is this a home made job?  There is one coupling still intact in the back but the copper was broken off on the other end.  I can fix it.  Question is.. is it worth it to fix?
4.  Any suggestions and advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to visiting this site more!

Oh.. if you want to see my other projects, just go to www.rustykey.com and click on the Projects link.  No ads or anything, just my personal website.

Later,

Rusty
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:10 am »

Rusty,

Welcome to the site.  Nice Vendo V-39 except for the Texas color--I am a Michigan fan! laugh  But that extra coat of Texas orange probably saved the body from rust issues.

That wiring looks extra crispy!  You ask some good questions about that machine.  My responses are based on what I see in Michigan.

1.  As is cooling but ugly--I see people asking between $800 and $1500 but I suspect they are selling for between $500 and $1000.  I have not bought one in a long time.
2.  Once painted and new gaskets, decals, etc.  I don't think $2000 to $3000 is out of line with a nice paint job and cleaned up insides.  That is an early model V-39 based on there only being two cooling louvers on each side.  It would have originally been all red with white lettering.  I like it better that way but for resale people sometimes go with the white on top with red lettering and red on the bottom.  The only issue with the V-39 that some people do not like is the fact that it can only vend the small bottles and is a one brand machine.
3.  That water cooling line was likely installed for a water fountain.  Some of these machines had small water fountains mounted on the side and they typically ran the water line into the machine to cool the water.  Personally, I would remove that and repair the holes in the body.  The area where that site is the pre-cool area for soda to be loaded in the machine.  That water line is just something that can spring a leak and cause rust issues.
4.  Several SMC members have restored V-39's so search the threads for Vendo V-39 for pictures and tips.  And of course, you can always just ask.  Also, Eric at Global Compressors was looking for one of those recently.  You might check with him if you are interested in selling it.

Good luck with the restoration.  Cool website!

drinking Tim drinking
wrkey

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:35 am »

Thanks Tim!   Just to update... the serial number says it's a 1950's and on the back side of the cover plate (by the turn handle) there is a date stamp of April 21, 1950!   I'm not going to blast/paint over that!
wrkey

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:54:05 am »

Here's a crappy photo from my Blackberry of my machine all completed.

From what I can see it is 100% complete, with the exception of the condensor coils guard on the back of the machine.

It is cooling fine but I'm now sure how to adjust the temp on the thing.  There is another thread about the same type of compressor I have (Westinghouse UB-5) so I will pose my question there for continuity.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:33 am »

Sweet!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
wrkey

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:03 am »

Here's some better photos of the final project.
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:55 pm »

Thats one nice looking machine

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: