SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 01:37:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minit Pop Popcorn Machine...  (Read 10638 times)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

My uncle is looking to purchase this machine; however, those of you familiar with the machine, could you elaborate on any pitfalls to look for prior to purchase...
Additionally, looking at the photos, what would a fair price range be for this actual machine...?
The seller is looking for $3500 - $4000, but I do not know if it has been repainted... It looks very clean and the seller states it works.
He also had a green and yellow one that just recently sold for a little less...
And lastly, he's willing to allow my uncle to leave a deposit of $1500 and then make 5 payments!

Thanks for any and all input ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:38 am »

From the pictures you posted it looks like a very nice, mostly complete machine. I say mostly because in the second picture it shows that the 2 junction boxes are missing their covers unless he had them off just for pictures. Even if they are, that's super-minor. Those covers are easily fabricated.

I really, really like the Minit-Pop's/U-Pop-It's. As far as pitfalls, just make sure that you have plenty oil in the oil vat (enough to cover the 100W heating element) and make sure that it is preheated (about 30-40 minutes) prior to operation. After that, make sure to give a good interior wipe-down periodically depending on usage.

On the plus side. The model pictured is an earlier "Oil Vat" version. I personally like the this version better. If for some reason the heating element takes a crap on you it is easily replaced and for under $30. The solid coconut oil is stored in the tank on the left. When power is applied, the 100W tank heating element kick on to bring the oil to a liquid state (around 100F) At the same time, the main heating element goes into a low temp setting that brings the oil sitting beneath the cooking basket to around 350F. There is a float sensor that sits directly behind the cooking basket that monitors the oil level. It get's too low and the float actuates a switch allowing the solenoid valve on the oil tank to open filling the vat to a preset level. So, some view having a tank of 350F coconut oil sitting around as a negative. Put a dime in and the machine springs to life! The heating element comes up to around 400F, the popcorn cup traverses from under the corn storage tank and dumps it into the cooking basket. The cooking basket oscillates back and forth keeping the kernels moving and in about a minute you have a bag of hot, fresh popcorn.

The other version is know as the "Hot Plate" version. The Hot Plate version utilizes an cast aluminum hotplate with a low temperature and high temperature heating element cast directly into the hot plate. If it fails you are looking at roughly $2500 to replace it. As far as I know, there is still only one guy out there that has reverse-engineered the hot plate and reproduces it. The Hot Plate version works like this; When the machine is first energized, the oil tank heaters (the newer version has 2, 100W tank heaters) heat the oil to a liquified state just like the Oil Vat Version. The Hot Plate low heat element energizes and brings the plate to around 350F. Assuming you have a previously used the popper, the hot plate would have a tiny amount of oil left on the hot plate, this is by design. At the end of a popping cycle, the very last thing that happens before the machine comes to a rest is the priming sequence. A micro switch closes that allows the Oil Tank Solenoid Valve to open for split second to let a small squirt of oil to be let out onto the hot plate. This keeps it seasoned and also is a great marketing tool! The hot oil smells great and is circulated out of the machine via the blower.

The asking price, if truly complete and working is fair, in my opinion.

Brian
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »

Good Pointers Brian B. The red and yellow color is not orignal color for the machine. Is this Walter selling this? I think the price is a little high but well worth it for the oil vat cooker. The hot plate type is crazy expensive to replace. I think there is couple of members on here that have one or two for sale. If you need any help or need pictures let me know.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »

Thanks for the great info ! ! !

With that, I have a couple more questions...
What is an original color scheme for the machine...? I did see a green/yellow version for sale...
There's one for sale on greedbay as well in the red/yellow colors, but the seller is unsure if it functions as he has never operated it...

Brian, this heating element is the same as the one you reproduced...?

Is there a member with one for sale at the moment...? If so, contact me to discuss

Thanks again ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »

The one on Ebay is a hot plate type. The color red and yellow is not period correct but the following are:

Green / Yellow
Blue/ silver
Red/ White
All White

I would be worried that he didn't know if it worked. The hot plate is like $ 2500 the one Brian B makes is not the same. It is missing the trash can and the salt box.

I have a manual if you want to buy a copy.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:00:57 pm »

Thanks Matt !

PM me with info to send payment...

My six cents,

Jim

MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »

Holy Crap $ 3050.00 I need to sell mine for like $ 10K restored

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »

WOW.. that did go for more then I would have thought... No hotplate = exspensive fix... Just my 2 cents  biggrin
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:17 am »

Jim,

The heating element that I reproduce & sell is for the Popperette, not the Minit-Pop/U-Pop-It.

Yeah, if I were buying a hot plate version, I would make darn sure it worked prior to buying it or the price would have to be adjusted in my favor.

Matt,

Good catch on the Salt Box! For some reason my eyes don't always key on those. It seems to be the guts of it that get me. If you ever decide to get rid of you's, let me know!

Brian
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:47:40 pm »

Thanks for the information ! ! !

I think I'll keep an eye out for a Popperette...

Does someone have a manual for sale for the Popperette...?

Thanks again everyone!

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: