SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 02:36:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor Clicking / New Thermastat Installed  (Read 5921 times)
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:53 pm »

I installed a new thermostat into my 81 compressor and haven't made any adjustments yet.  Immediately when firing up the compressor I'm hearing a clicking sound the knob "preset" to 3.  It continues to click on and off until I adjust the knob to the coldest setting, 9.  Than I hear the compressor turn over and than the clicking goes away.

I assume their are some adjustments that need to be made based on some instructions that were provided?  I guess my question is what is the process when installing new?  Any detailed step or readings that should be taken?

I have completed the following:

New Fan Blades and Motors
New Wiring Harness
New 2 Prong Cord.
New "Non-Contact" Thermostat.  Literally took it out of the box and installed it.

Lastly I have plugged the unit in all the blades, and motors are working.  The fan blades are not rubbing causing the clicking sound.

Thanks in Advance...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:33:26 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:40:14 pm »

Once it turns over I can adjust the know to a warmer setting and the clicking is NOT happening...
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:04 pm »

I'm going to try bypassing the t-stat and plug the 2 prong directly into the wall to see if that problem goes away.   If the problem permits I will try some new lead connections to the tsat. If still no change I will try a 3 to 1 bypassing the old OEM start and overload.

Jared
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 12:17:10 am »

I bypassed the t-stat by plugging the 2 prong cord directly into the wall by using in extension cord. The clicking sound was NO longer present and the compressor seemed to be working perfectly fine.  I inspected the wire on one of the (2) leads on the wiring harness wires that wires directly to the back of the t-stat.  I noticed one wire was was slightly loose and there was a little bit play between the crimped connections and the black part the wire.  

I plugged in the old t-stat in the with the existing wire in the same configuration with the loose wire and the compressor turned over with no problems. Than I wired the "new" compressor t-stat back in a the clicking sound started up again. So, I cut the new crimped connections, and crimped new ones on wire them back in. Plugged in the machine and it worked perfectly fine.

I'm not sure what was causing the problem?  Could I have a bad "new" tstat?  I doubt having  one is very common?  

Seems to be working now...  does the tstat complete the circuit for start up?  Or is in strictly secondary to the compressor starting up?

Jared
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:20:03 am by Slapshot42 » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:21:08 am »

Wow,
You have replied three times to your own post. 90 views.
Pretty solid indication no one knows or cares.
Creighton
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:35:45 am »

It's possible it was a loose connection since you ruled out the compressor by running it direct without the t-stat in the circuit. As we discussed earlier the t-stat completes the circuit to the compressor allowing it to run. I'd run it for know but if the clicking returns I would replace the t-stat.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:24 am »

Wow,
You have replied three times to your own post. 90 views.
Pretty solid indication no one knows or cares.
Creighton

I would rather post what I learned so if someone else that may has the same problem they have somewhere to start.  
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:08 am »

I didn't know, but read the posts to learn.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:58:20 am »

loose connections, will cause the problem as well.

you need a job?  upside  hahahaha

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »

Jared,

Sounds like just a loose connection or maybe the wire your using from the TStat to the compressor is not big enough.

The Tstat is merely a cut off when it hits temperature..

if it's clicking I'd say it's the compressor not getting enough power or starting to fail..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: