SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 12:37:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS-64 Cooling problem - Condenser fan?  (Read 4932 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: May 16, 2013, 01:36:52 pm »

Hello.

I'm looking at a USS-64 for sale, but I'm concerned about the compressor fan. The owner says that it is
"intermittent". I think they mean that the compressor fan is not staying on full time while the compressor
is running. The compressor itself was still running the last time it was used, and it was getting drinks very,
very cold. They said they used a small fan to cool the compressor.

Is that what's called the condenser fan? What could be causing it not to stay on? Is there any way I can
test it without moving the compressor deck? If the compressor itself is still chilling drinks properly, is their
any reason to think it may have been damaged from the fan problem?

EDIT: They told me the fan might just need cleaning. Could dirt cause a compressor fan to run intermittently
like that?

Thanks for the help!  smile
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:40:47 pm by Pixel » Logged
MrMark

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »

If it's the fan near the compressor, it is the condenser fan.

The motors are pretty cheap, so if it's intermittent, just get a new one and be done with it.

Most all motors built today, and very likely back then, have internal overloads that monitor winding temperature. If the winding get's too hot, it shuts the motor off. When it cool's enough, then the overload closes and the motor runs again.

Beware of compressors that have had to run for extended lengths of time with a bad condenser fan motor. The external fan had to be properly positioned to minimize excessive head pressure. Excessive head pressure is murderous to compressors, as well as causing a breakdown of the compressor oil.

Always beware of "it worked last time we used it" statements.

It is possible, that if the compressor is having an issue, that the condenser fan motor is slowing down when the compressor tries to restart (by dropping line voltage due to it not starting).
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »

Hello, MrMark.

I don't think I should take a chance on it then. I might fix the fan and it run fine, it might burn slap-dab up right after i
get it fixed. It's really too far away anyway.

I would like to have a USS-64, but not with a possible faulty compressor. Thank you so much, you've helped me avoid a
potentially expensive mistake.   smile
MrMark

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »

Just a suggestion - your probably never going to find a box at a price you want to pay that doesn't have some kind of baggage. If you can get the person to somehow insure you that the compressor will run, and the until is at the right price and condition, then tell him you'll expect the compressor to be running when you get there. He doesn't have to run it over night, but he can plug it in a couple of hours before you get there. Take a thermometer with you and measure what the temperature is when you get there. Anything below 45 degrees and it's probably working fine depending on what temperature the surroundings were for the previous 24 hours (the cooler the surroundings were, the cooler the box should be, to as low as 35-38 degrees). You can also look to see if ice is accumulating at the transition from the capillary tube to the evaporator. If no ice, it's probably low on charge (typical for older boxes) or the temporary condenser fan is not doing a good job.
You can also look at the line that leaves the compressor, headed to the condenser coil. It's the one that is about 18" long (not the one that has the capillary tube soldered to it). See if has a wet looking appearance around the compressor where the solder joint is, or anywhere along that line. That line is made of steel, and usually starts rusting though due to the way they hard soldered it together. The wet appearance is from oil seeping through.

The baggage side of the equation that is most all of these decks are old and have seen a lot of abuse. To find one with an already new reliable deck is probably going to cost more than you want to spend. If the box is the right price, and it get's cold, and is in good enough shape for what you are willing to put up with, buy it, and be prepared for any eventuality. Even a new compressor can fail. I'm just preparing you for what you may be in for.

It's like buying an old car - it may run good and look good, and may need a few parts here and there, only to run forever, but then it may also blow an engine or transmission the next time you drive it.

There are people on here that will help you get it running again if it crashes.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

It was over 100 miles away one way, and I really didn't have good transport. If it was close by
I'd have at least went and looked at it.

I got burned on a huge machine that I went over 100 miles both ways to get. Not because of the seller,
but because I didn't know the kind people at the EPA had banned R-12 until after I bought it. That
gives me some pause on "long-distance" machine hunting.

I will make a copy of your post though. If another one comes up for sale, I'll have information
for checking the compressor out.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:33:49 pm »

All the Cavalier machines you will be looking at contain R-12, it's not a big problem.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:30 pm »

With R-12 no longer made, is it expensive to get a system recharged? I've been afraid my
mother's CSS-64 would have to be scrapped if it the system ever opened, if it costs alot to put freon
back in it and fix it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:52:37 pm by Pixel » Logged
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 05:51:45 am »

Any time you open a system it can cost a few bucks. The cost of refrigerant is usually the least expensive. I charge about $1.00 an once for R-134a that is used in newer systems compared to $4.50 an ounce for R-12. The labor end is what costs the most. One route to go is if you have a trade school nearby that teaches refrigeration they might be willing to repair it for the cost of materials. The school I went to and later was an instructor at would repair systems as a means to teach how to repair the system and would keep the cost of the repair down as no labor is charged. A possible route to go if cost is a factor.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:54:51 am »

That sounds like a great idea, remove the compressor deck, clean it up so it is real pretty and take it to a trade school or even a repair shop. They can test it and tell you if it's worth proceeding. Do you still have that large machine? If not, find another one just so you can keep the compressor, sounds like you would feel more comfortable with a spare.
          Now as for the 64 you are looking at, I'm feeling comfortable with it! If the owner noticed that his fan was not working and took the time to set up his own fan, I would assume the machine has probably been well cared for. (Is the owner even aware that the fan should shut off every time the compressor cuts off)?
        I think you should go look at that machine, tell the guy what Mr Mark has told you and make him an offer.

If you want to be part of this group, you have to do what we all have done...........take chances  biggrin   

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: