SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 04:22:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor line cracked - Help!  (Read 2999 times)
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:59 pm »

Guys, my brother-in-law was rewiring the compressor on his WH-5T and accidentally cracked, not snapped, one of the lines that runs from the compressor to the evaporator. He said while he was moving it ever so slightly he heard a slight pop, and then the line depressurizing. Here are some pics below. It's the very thin line running from the top of the compressor to the top of the evaporator.

What are the options here to repair?

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:40:08 am »

You'll have to replace the broken line. If you are that far in you might as well replace all the lines and cap tube to ensure there are no problems in the future.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:15:36 am »

Oops!   I'd tell you to replace the Old +60 year old Pig-iron/boat anchor of a compressor with a modern 1/4 HP unit & be done with it, but hey, you're almost halfway there already!  blush

Your undoing was not removing the old steel line clamp on the side of the compressor, but I don't see why you started to separate the compressor from is mounts in the first place for just a rewire job. I suppose it's a lesson learned unfortunately.  down

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:30 am »

You'll have to replace the broken line. If you are that far in you might as well replace all the lines and cap tube to ensure there are no problems in the future.

How the hell do you do that? Lol...

Is this just a matter of purchasing new copper lines and just soldering them into place?

Oops!   I'd tell you to replace the Old +60 year old Pig-iron/boat anchor of a compressor with a modern 1/4 HP unit & be done with it, but hey, you're almost halfway there already!  blush

Your undoing was not removing the old steel line clamp on the side of the compressor, but I don't see why you started to separate the compressor from is mounts in the first place for just a rewire job. I suppose it's a lesson learned unfortunately.  down

My bro-in-law's handy work, not mine. He called me for help after the fact. So I have to act as a go between here. But it will be a good lesson and learning experience for me as well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:24:57 am by Kaleid20 » Logged

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: