SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:01:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess I goofed with wrong oil  (Read 7096 times)
jbeary

« on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:13 am »

I recently acquired a Westinghouse WB-174 which still had a light charge when I installed a service port on the low side. I pulled vacuum for three hours and it held overnight but I got distracted and instead of adding ester I added 2 oz of PAG oil. This was before I added Freon but now I guess I'll need to flush the entire system to get the PAG oil out. I have worked on auto A/C's and have followed the rule that ester is for R-12 and PAG is for 134A and the two don't mix and that PAG with R-12 creates some sort of sludge. It was PAG 150 too! I've found opposing recommendations online but hope someone can tell me if I now have to install another service port on the high side and do a complete flush. I've thought of just opening up the low side service port and seeing if any oil drips out but I let the vacuum suck in the oil so it's probably all over the system now and I don't want to start up the compressor in case of damage. I know the compressor works because I've changed the capacitor and it kicked over, I did not run it but a few seconds but still I don't know it's history and I guess it could have been run on a low charge for a while...

Can someone let me know their opinion; should flush completely and if so the recommended procedure? If I completely flush, how much ester oil should I add back? I just guessed at 2oz. to top off but that could still be too much.

Thank you all so much for the forum! I hope to have a working coke machine soon,
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »

The system probably had mineral oil in it if it was a R12 system from the 60's, so ya, you screwed up, you now have a nice waxy mess inside, so you'll have to drain the compressor, flush the system & change out the filter dryer. see if your compressor has a traceable/cross referenced part no. & look up the spec's to see how much oil it held to begin with, sometimes the spec plate on the refrigeration deck states the oil charge for the OEM.

As for a flushing process, I'd google up some of the procedures from similar systems, but I'm betting your going to have to cut the old compressor out of the system & open the process tube & tip 'er over to drain it. but so long as your going through all of that trouble, you may as well replace the old unit with a new one.

Good luck.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »

auto a/c huh?.... yeah, you're qualified.   glare

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
cmike101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »

Wow i cant believe you said that GLOBAL !!!!!!!!!Well i guess i can, you do it often !!
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:05 pm »

jawdrop
Wow i cant believe you said that GLOBAL !!!!!!!!!Well i guess i can, you do it often !!

just call me...... 'Mr. Wonderful' !!!   upside

jbeary

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

Thanks for the confab guys. It don't make the news easier to take but yeah, you gotta check your head when you work with one system and then switch over to a new system.... I hope I ain't got too much oil in the compressor but as soon as I throw some flush in there, I guess I'll see.  I'm still collecting parts so a new compressor could be in order... I'll thank Mr. Wonderful maybe later!
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »

anytime... glad I could help!  biggrin

also, seriously... sometimes it's easier to ask for advice up front, (and cheaper) than after
a potentially 'fatal' mistake.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:04:40 pm by globalcompressors » Logged

Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:33 pm »

and I thought "Mr Wonderful" was that jacka$$ on "SharK Tank". 

Good advice Eric!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:19:21 pm »

and I thought "Mr Wonderful" was that jacka$$ on "SharK Tank".  

Good advice Eric!

nope...we're two different people, he's rich and a jacka$$...... I'm just a 'jaska$$'... that's it!   hahaha   glare

jbeary

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »

Well, I spent $50 on this machine and the only "fatal" mistake I made was thinking I could get it past my wife! I already have one of those 50's vendo's waiting for who know what and as far as coke machines go, one is supposedly enough. Big stuff she will have trouble moving when I am dead I am sure.

But look, it'll will teach me not to buy anything that will allow my wife to say, "I told you so" and then leave it up to her to rush me out of the house ensuring I don't have what I need to do the job right. This was as simple as grabbing the wrong oil from the shelf on the way out and not checking later. I swear, it wasn't until I got home until I realized what I'd done and what a crummy feeling. I'm still trying to keep this under wraps with the hope that I can get all that PAG oil cleaned up because the compressor being trashed already is one thing, while me trashing the compressor is completely another thing... I'll have to wait several years then drag the vendo out and ask for help with that.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:42 pm »

your secret's safe with us... well, all except Johnie and that other "guy" Creighton. Gotta watch out for
those two!  Oo

Good luck... and I hope you get it up and running!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: