SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 08:28:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMC Site vs. Social Media Groups  (Read 8946 times)
cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 12:02:42 pm »

I see this as a common issue with almost all on line forums.

Seem to have peaks and valleys, as with almost everything. The heyday of buying/selling these machines is gone (for now).

I have to admit I was away for a while but came back lately since the soda bug seems to have bitten me once again.

How many restored 81's or sliders can you see without it becoming tired?

Perhaps a "buys of the week section" to put anything that may be of interest to the members, I know I have alot of other interests

cmc
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 12:58:20 pm »

Yeah... would love to see what other interest are on here a Buy of the week or month would be cool.. I've seen other sites that do that.
Cool to see what all folks collect...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »

I like the idea on "Buy of the Week"

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Tulsa Time

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 03:44:39 pm »

I'm a newbie here, but an older-fart collector at 55.  I've been into 'stuff' of this nature for 40+ years.  Restoring another Glascock cooler is what brought me here and NOT being into social media is what will keep me here.  My collecting interests are a bit varied--i.e. I don't collect just machines and only have five.

One of my main collecting interests is Hasty Bake charcoal grills (have 30+) and I'm essentially the archivist/curator for the company.  So much so that they gave me the keys to control their forum, which I believe uses the same software as this board.  I experienced EXACTLY the same thing there.  They now have a booming FB group, but I won't go there even though I'm probably missing out on some buys.

It's probably a good thing as storage space has become a real issue and I'm getting sick of paying $220/month for a climate-controlled storage unit.   darn  Of course that isn't preventing me from going to an auction on Saturday that has a Cavalier 55D in it!  My wife asked me where I'd put it if I got it and I told her that it's a SMALL machine, lol!!

I think it will all come back around at some point--I just hope that I live long enough to see it!!
66GTO
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:40 pm »

I too have noticed the slow down on the site.  I've also noticed a slow down on opportunities to buy machines and coolers in my area.  Its not for a lack of trying, believe me.  I consider myself a small time collector/hobbiest restorer, not in it for the money, just for the unique fun of it all.  In years past I'd be able to buy 3 to 5 vending machines or coolers a year.  I'ts now been over a year since my last purchase.  down

I've refused to become part of the facebook croud , but I've always wondered what opportunities I'm missing thru FB.
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »

Like a few members said .THIS is the Site !!! Jim goes all out and makes it great !!!

I have made countless friends on this site . There are aways some slow times but it's picks up .

I have been on FB. I don't like all the crap that happeneds when you start getting the news feeds .

I'm just like Larry I don't need social media . I like it here   tounge smile

And don't plan on leaving !!

I'll try to post more Finds AFTER there in my garage . Don't want to let the Machine out of the Bag so the Lurkers jump on it

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 06:53:15 pm »

I'm about 99% just here to be reading the site. I don't always read all threads. But I read because I feel I'm kinda getting an education. Sometimes. I would be one who would leave if it cost me to be here. I've often sent people from Facebook groups here when they have questions about getting a machine repaired or finding a key or a part. I wouldn't send anyone here if they had to pay to join. It's just not fair.
cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:00 pm »

Another thing I noticed was there are hardly any items in the for sale section. Other forms I'm on have daily items that come up and probably draws most of the members back day after day. Not a knock, just an observation.

I think we could save ourselves some money and help each other out selling on here verses eBay. Maybe it's me but stuff seems high priced on FB? Is it just me who thinks that, plus stuff goes so fast you have to be on it almost non stop to buy anything..

cmc
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 07:52:03 pm »

Next month will be 4 years that I have been a member on this site.  I remember mentioning on oldgas that I collect coin ops and "some guy named Jim" told me that if I like coinops I should check out this site. 5 days 6 hours 7 minutes and 1250 posts later I am still grateful that he reached out.

I havent made friends on this site, per se, but I like to think that we're all respectful in that fact that we collect, we want to share knowledge, and want to admire our finds.  Yea, there's some "trolls" and some "unfriendly" members but I don't see it as a deal breaker for me.  

It's been slow finding machines for me as well. Like to think it's because it's winter and should pick back up once flea market seasons starts up again in the spring.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: