SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 06:28:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member  (Read 7347 times)
DonH

« on: July 18, 2014, 08:16:22 pm »

Just wanted to say 'Hi'.
I'm a new member with my first machine - a cavalier CSS-64FS.
My avatar is a picture of the machine when I got it. I'll update it when it's restored.
I live in Exton, PA and I usually work on video games and EM pinball machines. I've always wanted a soda machine, and picked this one up at the Allentown pinball show this past May.
I've already learned a lot from reading the posts here, but do have one (only one?) question.
With video games, when I've done a restoration I always strive to make everything look exactly how it came from the factory, but reading some of the restoration posts here it seems like a lot of people either paint or powder coat the insides. It looks like my liner was originally galvanized steel, but it is looking a little rough. I guess my question is am I better off painting or powder coating the insides, or is just giving it a good cleaning the way to go.

Sorry about the long winded first post, but just wanted to get some opinions and ideas.

Thanks
Don
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:58:06 pm »

Hey Don, Welcome to the Club!  All membership fees can be paid directly to my personal account  biggrin  Cool  drinking

I'd say how you finish the interior is a call of what you're planning to do with the machine.  Powdercoating is mostly reserved for A+ restorations that are looking for big bucks on resale value.  The overall value of the machine needs to be taken into account if you're going to do that, and a square top machine just isn't going to pull that kind of value currently (though I wish the would I'd be doing OK!).  Hammertone paint does a great job of making the interior of the machine look updated and covers up any imperfections.

cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:50:36 am »

Welcome Don

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:26 pm »

Welcome,

I agree with tkaz, the machine you're putting money into is a big part of the decision if its not a first class machine or sentimental family piece. Would you do all of that work and spend all of that money on a common arcade game if it's not a popular game? If you still personally like it, you might.

If not, it depends on how bad it is. A lot of machines will clean up and look find original...... if you like it that way. If its rusty, you may have a hard time getting it powder coated.

If its for you then you have multiple options and its just a taste/preference thing.

Tim
Gumbo
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:58 pm »

welcome! Great club/site

Anderson
DonH

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »

Thanks for the input guys.
This will be a keeper for me - want to put it in my game room.
The inside doesn't seem too bad. I'll probably give it a good cleaning first and see how it looks. If anything I would probably go with the hammered paint rather than powder coating.
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:51:12 pm »

welcome don nice machine congrats it never stops at one
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:04:45 am »

Welcome to the board, a good cleaning is first step. Hot water and dawn soap is a good start. Post pic's if you can
Creighton

DonH

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:24 am »

welcome don nice machine congrats it never stops at one

That's what I'm afraid of.  laugh
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 10:10:26 am »

Welcome,
Be carfeful of putting your machine in you garage. I put my first one there and it must have invited friends over because I now have three. They sneak in or somthing.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 12:05:12 pm »

Welcome Don,
 So you work on EM pinball machine, have you ever worked on EM puck bowlers? I'm asking because I got an issue with mine that I've been trying to resolve.

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
DonH

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »

Ray,

I do have a United 'Supreme' puck bowler I had to do some work on when I got it.
Be glad to help you with yours if I can.

Don
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: