SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 01:29:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Power Cord......  (Read 7998 times)
Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:10 pm »

Happy New Year

I just replaced my power cord on a Westinghouse WB-126-6A-10 (she is a big girl) and now it is not working the same.

The old cords male end had the ground pin removed, although the ground wire was attached to the compressor deck. So I buy a 15 amp rated outdoor extension cord and cut the female end off. Attach electrical connectors and connect as old was set up.

Compressor works, cuts in and out. When I tried to vend it took coin and gave change. When I pushed the button to vend, nothing comes out and the vend motor keeps turning.

So the only thing different is the ground pin is connected and is plugged into the outlet.

Just wondering if any of the members on here have had this problem happen.

Thank You

Jeff

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Westinghouse WB126-B6-D (daily driver)
Vendo 39
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:49:35 pm »

Jeff,

Can you take a picture of your wiring, coin mechansim area, and vend motors?

I have some general troubleshoot advicd for a push button machine but need to see your set up...

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:48 pm »

if you buy a grounding adapter & carefully plug the machine into the power outlet without grounding it, then test it again, IF it acts "normally" then you have some kind of a neutral to ground issue, but in any case you have a wiring issue, be careful in case the chassis could be hot.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:24:07 pm »

Easy and safer way to check if you have a neutral to ground issue is to use a multimeter on the replacement plug.  Put it on the continuity setting and touch the ground on the plug to the neutral and hot with the probes.  If you have continuity, you've got problems.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:04:40 am »

Easy and safer way to check if you have a neutral to ground issue is to use a multimeter on the replacement plug.  Put it on the continuity setting and touch the ground on the plug to the neutral and hot with the probes.  If you have continuity, you've got problems.

True, a multi-meter (Ohms scale) would be the safe way to check, however it (the machine) has been running sans grounding pin on the power cord prior to him trying to splice a replacement onto the originals  cut-back "stub" ( I assume) unless he spliced the new cord into another area or the wiring harness or electrical terminal blocks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:28:53 am by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:27:45 am »

National electrical code states that the Neutral and the ground/earth are NOT the same thing on a 120 volt electrical circuit. they are NEVER bonded inside the machine, if they were, If the polarity gets reversed in such a machine with an open ground pin ( as he said it's missing on his original cord) yes, you'd get shocked on your A$$   glare

in any case, there is an electrical issue with the machine. check you wiring for brittle/dry rotted insulation on the wiring on or near the spot where you've connected your replacement cord.

11 is louder than 10...
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »

What about a mis-wired vending or inventory switch?  The normally open or closed circuits could have inadvertently been tied to ground causing the circuit not to reset after a vend cycle.  Maybe the reason the previous owner pulled the ground off?

Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:47 pm »

Easy and safer way to check if you have a neutral to ground issue is to use a multimeter on the replacement plug.  Put it on the continuity setting and touch the ground on the plug to the neutral and hot with the probes.  If you have continuity, you've got problems.

I checked the old power cord ground pin wire with multimeter on continuity against the two wires and all was fine. Also checked the new wire, all was fine.

I have attached a picture of the old power cord wired into the machine and a picture of the new cord end.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Vendo 39
Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

Jeff,

Can you take a picture of your wiring, coin mechansim area, and vend motors?

I have some general troubleshoot advicd for a push button machine but need to see your set up...

Here is a picture of the coin mechanism area.

Thank You

Jeff

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Vendo 39
Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:38 pm »

Neutral to ground issue? They are one in the same. If the chassis was hot it would have tripped the breaker the moment he plugged it in, if he bonded in the correct place.
The only purpose of the ground wire is to bond the metal chassis so that if it becomes energized it trips the breaker instead of using you as a path to ground.
Everything works, It's obvious the vend motor is working so it has both a hot and neutral.
Without seeing pictures, my guess would be you have a switch problem. Purely coincidence.

Yes. I am wondering if one of the relays is now bad ? When you say switch. Do you mean the relays on the front of the machine ? See attached picture.

Thanks for you're help.

Jeff

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Vendo 39
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: