SMC Discussion Areas
May 16, 2024, 10:22:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS-8-64 First Machine  (Read 8903 times)
davestar

« on: July 30, 2013, 03:22:12 pm »

So, My first machine is here now, and in the basement.  It has sat overnight and I started it up with great excitement.   NOW LET THE STUPID NEWBIE QUESTIONS BEGIN!!  When I started it up, the refrigeration came on fine, and it seems to cool and vend correctly.   I was able to change the price, and the mech had no problem.  The question I had was the florescent light in the door, and the exact change only lights did not come on.   The florescent light didn't even flicker.   I was wondering if there was a switch or a fuse that controlled the lights on the machine.  I would guess the exact change light would be on a different circuit, as it is used differently. 

I have the steel marquis sign, I believe the starter and ballast are behind that sign.  Any tips on how to get the sign off?

==================
Dave
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:28:27 pm »

Check this post:

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,13546.0.html

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:34:33 pm »

The CSS I had included the lighted marquee. There is a old style transformer ballast mounted on the back of a metal plate holding the sockets and bulb. I don't remember where the starter is mounted. WARNING: This ballast takes 120VAC "house current" for power. Do NOT fiddle with it or touch it while the machine is plugged in!

I've found that the fluorescent bulb burns out every couple of months or so, and they are several dollars apeice at WalMart. If it goes bad, there is a very good chance it will toast your fingers if you try to remove it with the machine plugged in.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:37:43 pm by Pixel » Logged
davestar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »

Thanks guys, i was able to get the marquis out after I took a better look.   The ballast and the starter were behind the sign.  Is the starter supposed to wiggle back and forth in its socket very easily?  Is that a sign of a bad starter or socket?   Also, it is really surprising that light goes out every couple of months.  That must have kept those service guys jumping, because it doesn't look too easy to replace.   Thanks for the replies.

==================
Dave
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »

I'd start by making sure there is power to the light circuit then replace the starter and bulb. to replace the starter push it in and gently turn counter clockwise. When getting a replacement bulb make sure you get the right one. most bulbs at that time were T-12 bulbs a T-8 will light up but burn out quickly. The T-12 is larger in diameter than a T-8. I have a few machines that had T-8's in them and after putting the correct bulb in and replacing the starter I have not had any problems with the light's.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:32:54 pm »

I didn't know that, I've been replacing the bulb with what was in it when I bought it, an F5T8? Does it need an F5T12?
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »

That might be why they are not lasting. Get a T-12 and a new starter and you should get more than a couple months out of a bulb. My Pepsi Vendo has been operating everyday for a year now with the same bulb without any problems.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:15 pm »

When you replace the bulb, does it ever burn your fingers? Can I use the same spec starter?
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 06:38:21 am »

You are correct about the bulb. My Vendo 63 uses a T-12. It has been burning every day for 5 years with no problem.  There is a good chance your ballast could be bad.  You can order a new one from RobertsonDirect.com.  A bad ballast will fry a bulb in a second.   Just be sure you get the correct ballast for the bulb you are burning.  To answer your other question, a starter should not be that loose.  You push and turn them clockwise to install opposite to take out.  It will wiggle a little when it is in position. Replace the starter and  bulb and go from there.

Greg
turbowhiz

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:13:58 am »

My later sixties vintage Cavalier CSS-64-GC uses according the factory label affixed to the light a F8W/T5 bulb;

The other thing to consider is the starter itself. When I got mine the starter installed was a FS-2, which is overrated and will cause a short bulb life. The correct starter is a FS-5 for that bulb. Just another factor to consider when looking at these things and short bulb life. Note that the starters are all physically interchangeable; So just because the starter fits and works doesn't mean its rated correctly for the bulb.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: