SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 11:41:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old cooling units....?  (Read 3431 times)
wee
10 Cent Member

« on: September 03, 2013, 08:15:33 pm »

Any worth here besides maybe the fans....One has a broken fan blade and they all look ruff, story is they works when pulled from scrap machines. They have been on thier sides for a few years.  I'll post the best pic here the other 9 can be seen on my website.

http://vendo80.blogspot.com/2013/09/old-cooling-units.html

Brian
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:37:37 pm by wee » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:43:25 pm »

Yes, grab them. Looks like the guy took care not to bend the lines, so they should be charged and ready for use.
Appear to be from a V-63/90 with the copper lines on the right. If they are on the left it will fit your 56.
All those pancake compressors alone, are well worth keeping since they fit so many 50's machines as well.

Glen
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:51:59 pm »

Good call on the machines they came out of....Vendo 90 according to what he told me....There are 2 of them. I offered him $10 each....He was going to take them to the scrap yard till he found out they will not take them. He only stuck the boxes between the upper and lower tonight when I had him on the phone....He says he just pulled them out and laid them down....I'm not sure how well of a job he did when he took them out.

I sent him another text and told him if he will sit them up straight and I can plug them in to see if they cool I would go $20 each if they work.

Brian
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:36 pm »

While I agree that the decks are definitely worth saving, the original compressors are 45/50+ year-old failures just waiting to happen. the high side steel line going from the compressor to the condensing coils that I can see very baldly pitted with rust. a fresh coat of paint isn't going to rebuild them.  I wouldn't expect much in the way of reliability out of any of them. Up to you I suppose.

I'd keep the decks & install new compressors, a real filter/dryer & install copper lines.  Original looks don't mean much with a seized compressor or a leaking system.  It's like sticky a junk yard motor into your restored Rod.  

PS I wouldn't be offering any guarantees when you sell them.               
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:07:13 am by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:14 pm »

I just noticed that the bottom is turned 90 from either one the two units I have worked with....These would have to go in a machine with a grill area on the front.

I'm just not a fan of those style machines.

I think if they cool they are still worth $20 each.

Brian

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:12:54 pm by wee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: