SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 09:17:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked plastic trim  (Read 7484 times)
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« on: April 29, 2005, 10:40:28 pm »

I thought I had read a thread on this many months ago but I couldn't find it.  One of my black pieces of trim that covers the insulation between the tub and shell is busted and a couple more might look better if replaced.  

What have you folks used before?  Where did you get it?

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:05:22 pm »

These are the breaker strips. They are made of thermal plastic. They are hard to get out and the break really easy. They are not repoped and they have to be the exact size (thickness) to fit in the channel that hold them. What they are for it to make a thermal barrier between the two pieces of metal. This barrier stops the cold from migrating to the outside metal cabnet and also prevents condensation from forming on the outer cabnet. (this is what I have been told so correct me if I am wrong). I have a set from a Vendorlator 81 that would need triming and I would need to see if I could get them out without breaking them but if you want to try I will pull them out for you.
BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:51:59 pm »

Josh - I'll clean them tomorrow and let you know the sizes of pieces that need replacing....  I know that the bottom piece was already broken.  I'll be extra careful with the others.

Thanks, Bryan
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:41:55 am »

I'm really surprised that no body reproduces the breaker strips for the popular models; after all, they're just straight pieces unlike the round tops that have curved breaker strips...

My six cents,

Jim

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 08:29:58 am »

I know. If they were metal I would have my sheet metal guy do it but that wouldn't work. I am thinking about starting to repop my own shelves. What do you all think? I can have them made for about $7 each, and if I were to sell them at $15 that would be cheeper than everyone else. But they would have to be perfict.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 01:21:26 pm »

Quote (Jim @ April 30 2005,4:41)
I'm really surprised that no body reproduces the breaker strips for the popular models; after all, they're just straight pieces unlike the round tops that have curved breaker strips...

Take a sample to your local plastics supplier, telling him what it's for.  I think a sheet is 48" X 48".   Can be sheared into strips.     Round corner machines need a jigsaw.
        I tried using regular black plastic one time and it warped bad.

Glen
BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 10:01:49 am »

Josh - finally got around to cleaning my strips. On closer inspection each piece has, or is about to, crack.  If the pieces from your 81 are in better shape I'd be interested.  Let me know.

If I need to buy from a local supplier, I'd like to call around and at least make sure that I have a shot at getting the right type.  Anyone know how to describe this stuff?  Is thermal plastic enough?

Thanks, Bryan
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:53:27 pm »

There is a Tap Plastics store close. They do great work but aren't cheap. If you could send a broken piece or let me know the thickness I can go and talk to them. Would you want the lettering applied as well? Tap also does that silk screen and a thermal kinda thing, maybe others.
Let me know.
Creighton

BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:18:19 pm »

Thanks for the offer Creighton.  I'll check locally first in the hopes of finding something <relatively> cheap before I jump right into aren't cheap.

Thanks, Bryan
BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 10:13:36 pm »

Quote (Creighton @ May 09 2005,3:53)
There is a Tap Plastics store close. They do great work but aren't cheap. If you could send a broken piece or let me know the thickness I can go and talk to them. Would you want the lettering applied as well? Tap also does that silk screen and a thermal kinda thing, maybe others.
Let me know.
Creighton

Creighton - found a local vendor that will sell me a sheet of 1/16" ABS (according to Steve & Sharon at sodajerkworks they're using ABS) and cut the strips for about $20 but they wouldn't do the lettering. Can you check with your guy for a price with lettering?

Thanks, Bryan
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: