SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 08:39:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTIONS ON MY NEWLY ACQUIRED VMC -33 COMPRESSOR?  (Read 5009 times)
Olympian
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:52:59 pm »

hey guys, I guess I bragged to soon. My perfectly working new machine has only lasted 2 days. It cooled down to 28 degrees and seemed to be working fine but went out this morning and put a dime in and the bottle of coke came out hot. It was 83 degrees inside. Both fans were on and if I turn the thermostat all the way back it turns the fans off but the compressor isn't coming on anymore. I turned it off for about 6 hours still no cool. Anything I can check or do I probably need a new compressor. If I need a new one can I take a unit from another machine and put in it.. My son in law has a 70s Narco Coke machine that has a new refrigeration system only a couple months old. He said I can have it.What are my options. Tom where are you/ You said you have restored about 50 of these? All help will be appreciated.
Josh the Vendo is plugging along just great. That is my grandsons first stop everyday when he comes over and when he leaves.Thanks to Jeff and you for the great deal. Waiting to hear from you guys.
Olympian
Jim
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 03:36:40 pm »

It may be just a tired old thermostat,  with the machine unplugged, remove the two wires that attach to the terminals or the thermostat,  using a jumper wire connect the two together & insulate them witha good wrap of electrical tape ( you don't want them to short out on anything, including you!) now plug the machine back in & see if the compressor will kick on, observe the compressor carfully if it feel & sounds like it's running OK & the coils start to frost, them you've found your culprit, but if the compressor starts then kicks off, or doesn't even attempt to start, it maybe a bad overtemp protector, or a bad start-run relay.

Hope this helps & you get off cheap!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Olympian
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 08:07:31 pm »

I put the 2 wires together going into the thermostat and the compressor did not kick in when I plugged the machine back in. I have a little hearing problem so I layed down behind the machine and put my hand on compressor and listened closely. I could hear a slight click every 15 or 20 seconds but the compressor didn't try to start. the evaporator fan and the compressor fan are running constantly but the compressor doesn't kick in. It worked nice for the first 2 days when I got it here. What should I do next ANY THOUGHTS?
Thanks in advance and thanks johnnyG.
Olympian
JIM
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:07:10 pm »

well, that eleiminates the thermostat as the source of the trouble, now it is pointing towards the compressor & it's overtemp unit, ( a little black disk with two wires going to it) this is the "click" you hear every 10-20 seconds, it acks like a circut breaker, as the compressor trys to start, all of the current first goes through this overtemp breaker, if the compressor doesn't start to turn, then the overtemp breaker senses the current rapidly rising ( a non-running or "locked-rotor" electric motor will draw lots more current than a running motor) & there is a little disk of metal that will start to overheat & when it does, it pops open the circut & you'll hear a "click"  (just like a real circut breaker for your house) but after it cools down ( about 30 or so seconds) it will reset & "click" again, this time reconnecting the compressor to the line voltage. 

now it could be a few things,  1.) a weak overtemp breaker,   2.) a non functioning start-run relay, ( this is located mounted on the compressor usually right were the wires go under a metal or plastic cover on the side of the compressor, or on older machines it's off to the side in a seperate metal box & only three wires goe to the compressor directly) or 3.) a bad stuck, or locked/seized compressor.   

you can try a 3-in-1 hard start booster relay to see if the compressor will still turn over. this would replace the original overtemp/start-run relay circutry attached to your machines compressor. but it's not a cure-all. it may help your compressor to start up if it's a little tight or a piece of sludge has gotten the piston sticky & is cousing it to have too much friction on startup than the electric motor inside the compressor can overcome normally) or it must likely is time for a new compressor. 

if the overtemp breaker is accessable, you can test it by TEMPORARLY jumpering across is & see if the compressor will turn over, but don't Try for more about five seconds, otherwise the compressor will over heat internally & you could fry the wiring. IF IT DOESN'T START RIGHT AWAY WITHIN 5 SECONDS.....STOP.....& DISCONNECT THE POWER  wow    & don't try it again....you'll have to let the compressor cool down for about 30 minutes, then once you get a 3-in-1 hard start booster, you can try that. but in all likelyhood, it's the compressor if the 3-in-1 fails.   remember, "stuff" happens & you are dealing with a +40 year old machine....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:27:25 pm by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:46:25 pm »

I feel your pain!
I stopped plugging in a old compressor without first (at least) cleaning all of the contacts and rewiring the thing. $40 or $400???
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:56:27 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 11:32:04 am »

Johnie gave a great explanation to a very common problem.
This too should be indexed into a troubleshooting guide so he
doesn't spend another half hour explaining the same thing next time. happydrinkers

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:41:49 pm »

Thanks, I'z tryz to keep it simple!  blush

Just this after noon I get an email from a guy who wanted to "pick my brain" over a soda machine problem he's having so I give him a call back & he's a local guy who owns an all-orignal Vendo V81, said it's been running up his electric bill & he was wondering how much current these machines draw, & he was also curious if the machine should be making a "Clicking Noise" , hmmm? how long has it been making this "noise" I asked him. Oh...about a week..says he.  I asked him "is your soda pop cold or warm?  he said it's not cold, I now ask him " have you unplugged the machine?" "why no" he answers,  I told him to go  over to the machine & unplug it like "right-now"  he comes back to the phone & reports that the wall-outlet was hot & the plastic was actually melted around the plug blades! well I said off hand I'd say you have a compressor problem..    help   turned out he had the machine on a dedicated outlet with a 20 amp breaker, but the actual eletrical out he installed was only rated for 15 amps, & yes the compressor was locked-up & drawing about 18 amps, not enough to trip the house breaker, but plenty to overheat the outlet itself & the machines original 16 gauge line cord ....scarry indeed!  gotta luv those little Kliketts!

11 is louder than 10...
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:36:26 pm »

What was clicking?? Just the compressor trying to start, or is it some kinda warning sound? Sounds like you just saved this guy a house!

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 08:09:32 am »

it was the overtemp breaker on the compressor tha was clicking on & off..

11 is louder than 10...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: