SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 06:41:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage hires machine  (Read 2910 times)
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:59:29 am »

Hello.  I happened across this site because a friend urged me to check into my Hires Machine.  I have an Ideal 55B (looks like it anyway) Hires Machine.  It is in good unrestored condition and works well. I bought it from my uncle who had to add a thermostat so it will shut off.  Therefore, I need some minor work to remove that and put a proper one in.
The compressor works great (or it did in College 12 years ago).  Currently it resides in my garage.  I think I paid $70 for it in 1988. Someone offered me $200 for it in like 1990.  So, the big question is, how much is it worth in pretty good unrestored condition, how much to restore and how much would it sell for once restored?  Please enlighten me.  My digital camera died on me or I would post a pic.
Thanks,
Eric
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:59:17 pm »

Eric

Hard to say how much it is worth without looking at it plus no matter what anyone says it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The case in point would be e-bay. If you look on the listing of coke machines you will prices that are out of reasonable thinking. I think these people have been given some unrealistic price to list their machines for. I would suggest monitering for a period of time (2 months) e-bay or other sites that list machines for sale & gauge the proper selling price.

I you post a picture here someone here may make you an offer.

Just my thoughts on this coke machine addiction that we all have.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 07:52:15 pm »

Big question here is "Is it embossed"? If it is, you have a rare slider, and if not you have a generic and it will be made into Coca Cola sooner or later.
      The general public does not want an antique soda machine. They all want an old Coke machine. ( Notice Kevin mentioned a "Coke Machine addiction").  But a collector of sliders may want all 13 embossed versions. He is the guy you want to sell to. Wish there were more of him.
        Jeff Walters book suggests an unrestored embossed and complete Hires slider should be worth $825.00.     Glen

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: