SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:59:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Main door removal vf-56 st  (Read 6400 times)
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 05:52:42 am »

I've noticed you have to take some of the weight out of the door before it will budge.  Take off the bottle door (4 screws), the coin mech (some of those are heavier than others) and maybe the coin door.  When I was tearing down my 56, the door wouldn't move at all.  As soon as I took off the bottle door, coin mech and door, the main door lifted right up.  What happens is the weight of the stuff in the door causes pressure to be exerted on the hinges, making it hard for you to lift it.

In geek terms the door is basically a cantilever (something hanging by a connection at one end - in this case the hinges).  So, the more weight on the door, the more force put on the hinges.  The weight basically pulls on the top hinge and pushes against the bottom hinge.  The net result is a hard-to-remove door.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 08:55:49 am »

I seem to be having the same difficulty with my door on the V-56. I'm at work at the mo, so no piccies, but it looks like there is some sort of security device fitted to stop the door just being lifted up. Some sort of a clip. Has anyone ever come across that ??

Dave
USSEnterprise
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 04:41:16 pm »

I got it! I got it! I mother f'ing got it! I just stood on the main part of the machine, covered the hinges in 3-in-1 and WD-40, and lifted with all my might. Wow. That was hard. Now off to the hospital to fix my hernia
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: