SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:52:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS-8-64 Door Light Question  (Read 11410 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:30 am »

The best method I have found is to take a flathead screwdriver, put the tip at a slight angle to the metal end of the bulb, and give it a few light taps at the end of the screwdriver.  Usually it is just enough to get the bulb to spin and release from the socket. 

Another option might be to wrap some electrical tape around the tips of needlenose pliers for grip, then grab the top of the bulb and try to spin it.

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:50:30 am »

tkaz--thanks for the tip!  That tapping it with the screwdriver was enough to get the bulb to spin enough where I could get it out.  They couldn't have made the fixture opening just 1/4" wider???  The guys who serviced these machines must have had small hands.

We have light in both the sign and the vending door which makes it even more obvious that the machine needs a good cleaning!

drinking Tim drinking
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:03:08 am »

Hi,
     I just got my first machine, a USS-8-64 and the first thing I'm fixing are the lights.  Glad to see you got yours working.  My machine doesn't have the glass/plexi cover for the selection door light.  I see that you said yours was plexi.  Is it clear or white?  I want to get a piece to replace the missing one. Does anyone know if plexi is the original material or was glass used.  Also I'm missing the clips, top & bottom.  Anybody got a spare set.  Or a good picture of them so I can fabricate something.  Thanks for any info.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »

I had to bow the plexi-glass to get it out of the fixture so if there are machines that had glass there it would have had to be a different set up.  My machine is all original from the early 70's and the material is clear plexiglass.  Find someone with small fingers to help and the job will go quicker.  And use the "tap it with a screwdriver tip" because it works!

drinking Tim drinking
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »

Thanks so Much. That's a help. Mine is early 70's too.  I just put up a new topic with some pics if you're interested.  Thanks again.

John

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »

My USS-96 (a 1973 model)the big brother to the USS-64, uses a two piece glass system to cover the light fixture. Where the glass meets both piece have a plastic edge guard. To hold them in there is a metal clip. The clip has two screws one under the delivery door gasket and the other on the inside of the delivery door frame.  It's a pain to swap the bulb without some else  holding  the door.

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:59:55 pm »

Thanks,  when I got the machine, the top bulb socket was broken and needed to be replaced.  After I got that replaced, getting the new bulb in was a pain. I see from reading a number of posts on this site that that is a common problem.  I just thought I had an oversized bulb. Finally got it in.  If you have a pic of the clips that would help.  I think the plexi will stay in with out the clips, but I'm just trying to restore as much as possible.

John

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: