SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 11:47:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find help?  (Read 3373 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:52 pm »

Quick question for those of you who have been doing this a while.  I suspect my Cornelius is in need of freon.  It gets cool (around 50*) but not cold.   It runs nice and quiet and gets a little bit of frost on the coil, but just seems to lack "oomph" in the cooling department.  I let it run for a few days and it stayed consistently at around 50*.

If it were a more valuable machine, and needed a complete compressor overhaul, obviously I would send it off to one of the experts here on this fine board - however for what I suspect is just a freon recharge I would rather take it somewhere locally or have someone stop by the house.

So...how do I find a local company to look at this?  Do I call a local appliance repair place, or an HVAC company...or what?  I'm leaning toward appliance repair since it is essentially a refridgerator.

Thanks!!
Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:52 am »

Full of product? Door seals good? Going to be a crap shoot finding a local that doesn't f* it up too bad.
Call around and see what happens.
Good luck!
Creigton
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:25 am »

& don't forget to check that the inside evap' fan is running & circulating the inside air.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:18 am »

Thanks guys,

The Door (lid) seal is "ok" - slightly warped on one side, but a bit of weight makes it seal tight.  For testing, I put enough weight on it to keep it sealed.

Not full of product, just the empty unit.  I know that helps with efficiency, but I would have thought the bottom of the cooler would get below 50* regardless.  I measured  this with my laser thermometer.

The fan that sits down in the cooler itself is running fine.

I'll call a couple of the local places and ask around a bit.  I also know a couple of local HVAC guys that I can ask, although I would think that home AC units are a bit different.  Smiley

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:17:34 pm »

I have had luck with some of the local mom and pop refrigeration repair places.  I explained what I had, and said I paid cash, they came out and did a nice job with a freon charge, checked seals, etc.  still running strong to this day

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: