SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 08:27:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well I'll be (pinball machine)  (Read 3460 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: September 20, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »

I just found a pinball on the Little Rock, AR craigslist, that is just like one I used to own. Gottlieb's Sinbad (and the Eye of the Tiger), the electronic version. I got it from my uncle over a decade ago. I wanted to fix it, but it was missing the power supply board, and it had the System 1 CPU board in it, which I recall was said to be a badly flawed, failure prone design. I sold that machine to an electronics engineer who said he'd try to fix it, but I don't know what became of it.

They're saying it has the "Ni-Wumpf" CPU board, which is supposed to have fixed most if not all of the problems with the original.

I'm not looking to buy another one, I just thought it was rather strange seeing one for sale a decade later, and I wasn't even looking for it.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/vgm/4066418541.html

They don't have a picture of their machine, just this promotional graphic.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:24:40 pm by Pixel » Logged
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:12:48 am »

looks like a cool pin....not a bad deal....they really shot up in price over the last year or so

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »

I got it hoping it would be a simple fix but, the Ni-Wumpf CPU board (aka MPU) was like $200 bucks, and it looked like the PSU board was going to be close to $100. The backglass had suffered a considerable amount of paint loss, more evident when it was lit up, so I decided there was just too much and money work there.

I played a simulation of that machine on Visual PinMame I think. Didn't really enjoy it. I grew up during the Japanese video game expansion, so it really didn't have enough action to suit me, I'm afraid.

I don't regret selling it though. I don't think I'd have ever fixed it. It sure was cool though.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:33:43 am »

I'm looking for a nice old EM to restore maybe some old wedge head
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:00:40 pm by rayg » Logged

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:12:46 am »

I have a few you can practice on Ray Smiley

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »

I looking for a nice old EM to restore maybe some old wedge head

There was a EM version of Sinbad, with lower scoring on the tumblers, and the playfield.

Another variant of the Sinbad EM machine was named "Eye of the Tiger", which had a different backglass. I seem to recall reading that it was the rarest and most valuable version of the machine.

These machines  were apparently based on the movie "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" starring Patrick Wayne and Jane Seymour. D. Gottleib & Co. was owned by Columbia Pictures Studios at the time.

The listing also talked about a 1/2 size home use model of a "Pirates of the Caribbean" machine. I'm of the opinion that if one has the money and space for a pinball machine, they might as well get a real quarter gobbler and not bother with a consumer gizmo like this. It's just my opinion though.

Well, a consumer model might be a little safer for home use, but I bet it's not cheap to repair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: