SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 06:18:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well that was stupid...  (Read 4880 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: October 26, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

ok, so I reads the recent post by TKAZ on his repurposing a stamp machine to vend the Hershey minis.  Thought it looked like a great little project and could easily be done by Xmas time.  Found one by the same mfg as the model TKAZ did and the vend mech, although a bit different, could be modified to work in a similar manner.  Got everything taken apart and went to work with the Dremel cutting wheel.  Was making good progress and got all the vending columns modified to my satisfaction so I turned to the machine faceplate.

There are 3 pot metal coin slots riveted to front of the machine.  Wanted to take these off to clean them up and make repainting more straight forward.  Punched out the rivets from the backside and then used a flat blade screwdriver to lift the coinslot off the faceplate.  First two came off with no problem.  Went to flip the last one off and must not have had the rivets punched all the way out.  The piece got caught on the rivet and I ended up breaking off the corner.  It was a careless mistake and I certainly should have known better, but the damage was already done.  So here is the question.  This is obviously not a repopped piece and I know this may be a bit of a long shot.  Does anyone have one of these machines laying around gathering dust or missing parts that they would be willing to scavenge off one of the dime coin slots?  I got lucky on the one I bought.  Most of these have 2 dime and 1 nickel slot.  Mine had been converted to 3 dime slots so it was ideal to repurpose to a candy dispenser.  Ideal until I got careless anyway.  If anyone has one they would sell, let me know. Thanks

Brian

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »

How bad of a break is it? If not to bad you may be able to glue it back together with some JB weld. You can find it at Walmart and Lowes.

I believe that is a porcelain face stamp machine. You may want to find a different stamp machine to convert.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:38:36 pm »

JB Weld is my backup plan and you are correct, it is a porcelain face, but I think I can blast it clean.  I like where it stands so far, but this may be a learning curve project.  The challenge with converting one to a candy machine is that it doesn't make sense if one slot vends on a dime and the one next to it vends on a quarter.  This version has 3 dime slots, plus I like the shape of the display windows.   If I don't find a new slot cover, I can use the one I have and always change it out down the road. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »

Sounds like a plan. Hear what you are saying on them all set to vend for the same amount.

My concern was more about what looks like a nice original porcelain stamp vendor to learn on. Might what to get something like these to work on and keep the other as is. I bought two incase I had to learn from one as well. All the slots are set to $.25.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck and look forward to the finished product.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:18:10 pm »

What is behind the bezels?  Maybe you could use the good ones as a template to cut some out of stainless steel and polish them up real nice.

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:11 am »

How big are the bezels. I don't have that one but I have a box full of bezels for machines I work on over here in the UK. The holes are top and bottom rather than side by side. they may work if I sent three and you realigned...

Dave
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:29 am »

Folks, please don't go a chopping away on the porcelain face stamp machines. They are hard to find. And hacked worthless.
If you must please use the steel faced, silk screened ones. I'm not very happy with that.

Not a thing wrong with re-using a machine. In the case of the stamp vendors. Take the original door off set it aside and have a machine shop make whatever Frankinstein door you desire. Please. Very sad post.
Creighton

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:36:07 pm »

How big are the bezels. I don't have that one but I have a box full of bezels for machines I work on over here in the UK. The holes are top and bottom rather than side by side. they may work if I sent three and you realigned...

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like Shipman used the same bezel on a bunch of their different machines over the years.  I think I will be able to come across one with a little effort. 

With regard to the porcelain face, I can see the point of saving it, but in all honesty I would never buy a stamp machine just to have a stamp machine.   They aren't that rare, and it didn't cost me much, just so happens that this is the one I came across.  I didn't even realize it had a porcelain face until I bought it.  I hope to turn it into something that my kids and I will use and enjoy so I don't consider it a sad post, but if I were to do another one, I would probably look for a painted face version.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: