SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 02:38:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinball Help  (Read 9258 times)
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« on: December 14, 2013, 09:23:17 am »

Are there any good pinball sites or forums that list machines for sale? EM machines preferred.

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:33:12 am »

Ebay, LOL!  biggrin

Look at Maine Pinball Repair. You are close enough that you could get there in a reasonable drive. He shopped my first one and I got one from him that he shopped and it works like a top. Nothing worse then a machine that only works when it wants to and he stands behind his work. Really good guy.

He will shop what you find, find one for you if your looking for a particular title, and he shops the good/popular ones and puts them out for sale.

I'm not affiliated other than being a happy customer.

http://mainepinballrepair.com/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:15:48 am by MaineT » Logged

Tim
VMAXMAN
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:03:06 am »

http://www.pinballowners.com
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:37:57 am »

www.mrpinball.com

Has classifieds, repair advice, info on dealers across the country and more.
There is a newsgroup on google "rec games pinball" and an EM group on Yahoo,
empinballmachines.

a ton of links here      http://www.stevechannel.com/pinballlinks.htm

Hope this helps.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:55:34 am »

Don't forget Craigslist, 

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »

Thanks guys! I knew I came to the right place. happydrinkers

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Adams Gum Machine
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »

Are there any good pinball sites or forums that list machines for sale? EM machines preferred.

You said you preferred EM machines. If you collect electronic machines, be very careful of Gottlieb System 1 MPU (CPU board)
based machines. These would have been among Gottlieb's earliest electronic machines. The original System 1 board has several
design flaws that make it very fragile. Certain IC failures as a result of the board's design flaws render it effectively useless, as
replacement parts for the board aren't really available. There are complete aftermarket replacement boards, but they are not cheap.
Apparently the other boards in a System 1 machine were prone to problems as well.

I know this because several years ago I had the one of their electronic Sinbad machines, and learned the hard way it would be an
expensive fix. Mine was missing the power supply board, which led me to conclude the CPU board was likely bad.

This machine was also available in two EM versions- a lower scoring version with the "Sinbad" backglass set up for scoring tumblers,
and one named "Eye of the Tiger" with a different backglass, and scoring configuration I think. IIRC, "Eye of the Tiger" is the more
desirable of the two EM versions, as far as collectibility goes.

P.S. Original System 1 CPU boards could be found on eBay a few years back, but my impression is that failures were so pervasive that those boards
aren't worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:54:47 pm by Pixel » Logged
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 02:55:53 pm »

I sent you a pm, I have one I am looking to part with

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »

You said you preferred EM machines. If you collect electronic machines, be very careful of Gottlieb System 1 MPU (CPU board)
based machines. These would have been among Gottlieb's earliest electronic machines. The original System 1 board has several
design flaws that make it very fragile. Certain IC failures as a result of the board's design flaws render it effectively useless, as
replacement parts for the board aren't really available. There are complete aftermarket replacement boards, but they are not cheap.
Apparently the other boards in a System 1 machine were prone to problems as well.

I know this because several years ago I had the one of their electronic Sinbad machines, and learned the hard way it would be an
expensive fix. Mine was missing the power supply board, which led me to conclude the CPU board was likely bad.

This machine was also available in two EM versions- a lower scoring version with the "Sinbad" backglass set up for scoring tumblers,
and one named "Eye of the Tiger" with a different backglass, and scoring configuration I think. IIRC, "Eye of the Tiger" is the more
desirable of the two EM versions, as far as collectibility goes.

P.S. Original System 1 CPU boards could be found on eBay a few years back, but my impression is that failures were so pervasive that those boards
aren't worth the trouble.

What time period are you referring to regarding the System 1 MPU, (Main Power Unit?). For the earlier 60's machines, are there retro-fit conversions available to overcome the design flaws?

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Adams Gum Machine
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 04:09:12 pm »

If the score windows have a digital display, it's a solid state machine.  Em machines were phased out by solid states in the mid 1970's.  If  you can see the scoring wheels, then it is an EM

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: