SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 01:36:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picked up a neat little candy machine  (Read 8338 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:03 am »

Picked this up off local Craigslist the other day.  At the time the mech seemed jambed and there was no key. Managed to pick the lock, the coin/product delivery mech is very simple and freed up with a little clean up and lubrication, hit it with some Flitz (great product), and now it looks pretty decent and works like a champ - vends on a penny!  The chrome finish is pretty decent but is pitteed and has several places where it has worn away and is corroded through. Going to make this an Xmas gift, so what do you guys think - keep the original chrome with its flaws or paint it.  Most of the pics I have found online show them painted not in chrome.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:05:10 am »

There is no way I would paint that. It looks lovely the way it is. Not sure what you paid for it but they now command a pretty penny since Rick restored the same model.

Have always had my eyes out for one, among others.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:34 am »

Great machine, it's finished!!
Halloween candy in stores good time to stock up.
Creighton
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:52 am »

Agreed - don't do anything more to it.  Clean it and use it! 

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:16 am »

Leave it!!! I purchased 3 of these at an auction. The original finish is as shown. I believe they date back to the 20's-30's. They could be wall mounted or counter top used.

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:16:56 am »

It usually takes a few worn areas to really convince people that this is NOT a restored machine.     Nice find!  happydrinkers

Glen
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:20:40 am »

Well I certainly like the idea of leaving it as is.  Nothing wrong with a few age marks.  The back cover plate and the cast iron base both have some advancing rust that I want to clean up and prevent from further growth so I think my plan will be to clean those pieces up, give them a fresh coat of black paint and leave the machine pretty much as is other than a bit of internal cleanup.  I have 4 boys and all but the youngest have gotten some sort of candy/soda related item for Xmas in the past so this is going to go to my 10 yr old.  I try to find things that I like and that they will like as well.  Hopefully when I am old and grey, they will hold on to them and some day pass them on to there kids rather than have them end up on the auction block.  I have a barber pole from the 30s but other than that, this machine is my oldest piece.  By the time my 10 year old is old enough to harass his wife with his collection hobby this should fall well into the catagory of an antique. 

Dave, I did not realize Rick's Restoration did one of these.  I paid $150 for the machine.  Now that its cleaned up and the mech actually works, I think that was pretty good.  I was a bit concerned at first, that if there was a broken part internally, there would be no way to find a replacement piece. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:36:05 am »

Wow... I think $150.00 is a pretty fine price for that lovely old girl. Be careful Candy Machines have the tendency to breed rapidly. I came down one day and found fifty up on the walls and around the floor.

Dave
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:28 am »

Wow... I think $150.00 is a pretty fine price for that lovely old girl. Be careful Candy Machines have the tendency to breed rapidly. I came down one day and found fifty up on the walls and around the floor.

Dave

Then I guess I better find a condom machine to hang up before I get another candy machine! laugh

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 10:19:24 am »

Then I guess I better find a condom machine to hang up before I get another candy machine! laugh

I think Dave (davethebirdman) had one of these at one time!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up