SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 02:56:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need VMC-81 Refrigeration system refurbished - not restored  (Read 8142 times)
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« on: January 20, 2015, 08:44:47 am »

My VMC-81 more likely than not has a hole somewhere in the system as it has a service tap added to it and instead of getting cold it got warm.  (It first started to cool, than it warmed up)

What do you recommend?  Take it out of the machine and bring it somewhere locally to go through?  Or is there someone who would be good at refurbishing it?  I just want it repaired, it's a nice original so don't want it really messed with besides replacing the lines, new R12, and getting it up and running and of course fixing any leaks it may have.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:22:25 am »

Remove the unit and take it for repair, nobody is going to mess with it further than that.
       You will only be doing what Vendolator would be doing to their equipment, repair leak, add drier and refill.
       They would have also replaced that 50 year old brittle wiring harness and added fresh new quiet fan motors.
       And like John said, while it is out is a good time to clean the messiest areas of the machine.
       That's a nice original there Jonathan, we're glad you are concerned about originality but you want it to be safe too.

Glen
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:21 am »

Well said Glen.

I always replace the wiring harness on my clean originals.... The old wiring is almost always brittle, and poses a fire hazard.

Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:00:10 am »

Well said Glen.

I always replace the wiring harness on my clean originals.... The old wiring is almost always brittle, and poses a fire hazard.

I agree that's usually been the case with all of my machines.  Not sure if it's because this one was stored in doors for at least half it's life but the rubber is very pliable.  Either way, I'm going to upgrade it to be on safe side.

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:19 am »

Remove the unit and take it for repair, nobody is going to mess with it further than that.
       You will only be doing what Vendolator would be doing to their equipment, repair leak, add drier and refill.
       They would have also replaced that 50 year old brittle wiring harness and added fresh new quiet fan motors.
       And like John said, while it is out is a good time to clean the messiest areas of the machine.
       That's a nice original there Jonathan, we're glad you are concerned about originality but you want it to be safe too.

Any particular type of shop you'd recommend? seems most refrigeration guys come to you now a days..

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:09:59 am »

Call your local Coca Cola, or Pepsi distribution centers.  Since its out on a stand they wont know if it came out of a Pepsi or a Coke machine!

I took one on a stand to my local Coca Cola center and the fixed the unit for free.  Fortunately though it wasn't low on freon.  Maybe have you own can of R12 on hand...you'd be surprised!!
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »

Call your local Coca Cola, or Pepsi distribution centers.  Since its out on a stand they wont know if it came out of a Pepsi or a Coke machine!

I took one on a stand to my local Coca Cola center and the fixed the unit for free.  Fortunately though it wasn't low on freon.  Maybe have you own can of R12 on hand...you'd be surprised!!

Tried local pepsi distributor, they won't touch it.  Guess I'll need to try a coca cola pace....

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:30 pm »

reach out to eric at global compressors.  He is the industry standard on refrigeration.  If he cannot advise you on what to do, I don't know who can 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:09:33 am »

reach out to eric at global compressors.  He is the industry standard on refrigeration.  If he cannot advise you on what to do, I don't know who can 

Eric helped me trouble shoot it, nice guy.   It appears all it may need is a new thermostat as I got it down to 34 degrees this time in less than 30 minutes.

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 02:39:55 pm »

Great

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Pages: [1]   Go Up