SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 04:13:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 6 case thermostat  (Read 5144 times)
Mendonjoe

« on: December 23, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1950 Vendo 6 case with a Westinghouse UB-7 refrigeration unit.  All the pisture I have looked at and the manuals that I have ordered show a rather obvious thermostat inside the cooled area.  I have thermostat at all that I can find but there is an unmarked slotted adjustment screw on the junction box near the compressor.  Could this be the thermostat?

Thanks!

Joe
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 08:07:00 am »

Joe,

Can you post a good photo of the unit including the junction box?
I couldn't find any literature on a Westy UB-7 refrigeration unit in my library... Some systems did have a thermostat located on the compressor deck with a capillary tube running up into the cooling compartment.  Are you looking to replace the thermostat or just trouble-shoot at this time...?

My six cents,

Jim

Mendonjoe

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 07:14:22 am »

Hi Jim,  Thanks for the reply and here is a picture of the "junction box" with the cover removed.

Note the rusty hole on the left is for the cover screw.   The one on the right is the slotted adjustment and the cover has a hole in it so you can adjust it when the cover is on.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:16:48 am by Mendonjoe » Logged
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:20:05 am »

It appears to be the thermostat, but I cannot see the capillary tube attached since the photo is a little dark...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:30:19 am »

The adjustment set screw you are looking for would be the one on the front lower right of your picture.

I believe the box is not only your T/S, but also contains your start and overload relay and replacements are obsolete.

If it has failed, the solution would be a new contact style T/S along with a 3 in 1 relay.

Glen
Mendonjoe

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 01:11:17 am »

I don't know much about refrigeration but there is definitely a relay in the box.  Under the box is a large capacitor for starting the motors.

When I got the unit a few months ago, the refrigeration unit worked as in the first few coils would get white frosty. I removed the unit to insulate the cooler and it still worked when I reinstalled it.  I ran it for an hour which was the longest I had run it and now I get no cooling at all.  Maybe I sprung a leak or maybe there already was a leak and running it for an hour ensured the system was empty - ??

I talked to a refrigeration guy who will come out and have a look at it.  He wanted to buy a can of R12 of ebay first because it is likely he will need to recharge it (I think).

Thanks for your help guys.

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: