SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 11:02:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Wire from Junction Block - 55 Slider Machine  (Read 4228 times)
66GTO
10 Cent Member

« on: August 16, 2014, 02:50:20 pm »

Hello- I have a question about the ground wire from my wiring harness.  I recently replaced the wiring harness on my slider.  I assumed the ground could be attached thru the screw that holds the J-block to the machine.  When I do this, the machine trips the breaker.  When I unhook the ground, the machine runs fine.  

Is there a certain spot the ground is supposed to connect, or does this mean there is a short somewhere?  

Thanks in advance for your help!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:15:03 pm by DPC66GTO » Logged
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »

Try fastening it to the metal chassis instead.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
66GTO
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:02:36 pm »

There is continuity between the body and the frame, so same result - the breaker pops.  It looks like there is a short somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:26:01 am by DPC66GTO » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:43 pm »

Sounds like that short would be found between your ground wire terminal and the wall receptacle.
       Even a brand new power cord can be faulty.

Glen
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:54 am »

Your short is somewhere in the machine. It could be any electrical device bonded to the chassis, or more likely a chaffed wire touching the chassis.
You can eliminate parts of the machine by disconnecting certain wiring harnesses

If the cord was shorted it wouldn't matter if your ground wire was bonded or not. When you remove the ground wire your chassis is hot. You can check this with a meter.
This is the reason ground wires are important and electricians scoff at people who just clip the green wire when they think it's not needed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:24:00 am by stuntpilot » Logged
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 09:13:37 am »

a while back, I had a couple of replacement harnesses defective with the line/hot side of the compressors wiring outlet shorted to grounding wire internal to the junction block, these harnesses had the the molded-rubber type junction block, same problem as yours.

They would pop the breaker or GFCI when the grounding wire was mounted to the chassis/frame. these where bought local, so I returned them & sure enough, I wasn't the only customer who had this problem, the parts supplier had a batch of about 50 pairs defective.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: