SMC Discussion Areas
May 16, 2024, 11:29:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan motor question....?  (Read 4412 times)
wee
10 Cent Member

« on: September 01, 2012, 02:10:01 pm »

In a vendo 80 how hot should the fan motors get....I'm trying to figure out if I really need to replace them....I got the bottom fan out and it runs nice and quite....No back and forth play in the shaft, it does move front to back but I think it's designed that way.....I set it up on the bench and plugged it in and ran it for about 20 minutes or so with the blade off....The case gets pretty warm to the touch....U can hold your hand on it but not if it were much hotter....How hot is too hot....Any other test I can run on the fans....?

I won't be running this machine 24-7....Only maybe hook it up for a party every now and then and let it run for a few hours....I really don't want to spend what would be close to $75 with shipping if I don't have to.

Brian
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »

I don't think there is anything wrong with your motor. They do get warm after running for a while. It will run cooler with the blade on because there is air being pulled over the motor to keep it cool. If the motor leads are in good condition use the motor until it doesn't run any more. If you want to replace the motor send me a message and I can help you out.
                                                            Ken

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

Can I replace the wiring....?  I think the back housing should come off....It looks like it's just pressed in....Other than it coming off I don't see anyway to re-wire it without just cutting and splicing the wires which kinda defeats to point to begin with....If it does come off what is the best way to get it off...?

Brian
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »

If the wiring is bad replace the motor. If you want let me know and I'll get you one at cost + shipping. I've rewired a few motors and the time it takes wasn't worth it compared to the cost of a new motor.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:45:54 pm »

Can I replace the wiring....?  I think the back housing should come off....It looks like it's just pressed in....Other than it coming off I don't see anyway to re-wire it without just cutting and splicing the wires which kinda defeats to point to begin with....If it does come off what is the best way to get it off...?

Brian

It's getting hot because as explained before these types of motors are called unit-bearing motors & they are designed for "continuous air-over" operation, that is to say they MUST have a fan pulling air over their cases to keep themselves cool enough to operate. don't bother trying to rewire them, the basic ones cost about $18 to $25 at Graingers, just write down the specs on the back cover of your motor or better yet just bring one in to parts counter, also every HVAC supply shop carries them too.

basically match the speed/RPM & rotation & wattage  usually they are 1550 rpm, CW (clockwise rotation) or CCW (counter-clockwise rotation) & typically 4-9 watts. will work fine both top & bottom.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:21:09 pm »

$18 a piece sounds way better than $31 each....How long of a cord comes with them stock....? The bottom one is only about a foot long...But the top would need to be about 3 feet long and it's the one I worry about most, when the wire cover was installed they pressed the wire for the upper fan against the coolant line and it's smashed pretty bad.....I guess I could just cut the bad out and splice in back....No one but me would ever know because it would be under the cover, which I plan to re-seal with 786 silicone....However after building countless race motors it's just not my nature to cut corners.

I guess my question about how to re-wire a fan is just not do-able.....?

kbareit....U have a PM.

Brian
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 01:46:16 am »

they're GE, 51 frame motors, 4 or 6 watt. the motors should be under $30 each.

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »

After giving the wires a good cleaning with soap and water then simple green they look like new, I inspected them for cracks and all were good.  I will have to put a few new ends on them and cut the bad place out of the top fan cord, but I plan to keep the old fans for now. I have been taking lots of pics and will update my restro blog sometime tonight....Thank Ya'll for all the help.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: