SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 06:58:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need thoughts on an Atlas slider  (Read 6439 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: September 01, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »

I picked this up today after paying for it yesterday.  Someone offered him $150 unseen but he let me have it since I contacted him first.  He was a great guy.  His asking price was $90 but I gave $120 since he was nice to not take the sniper's offer.  The owner had converted it to a cooler and pulled the rack out and said he trashed it when I went to look at it.  I was pretty bummed about the rack, but the unit is in decent shape.  No major dents or rust.  Could use a paint job but it cools and most everything else seems to be there (coin mech, shelves, side door, tub, cap catcher, etc.).  It's missing a plate for the coin entry and a coin return knob.  There's some black "stuff" on side of the unit that just peels off.  I'm not sure what that was.  I don't know what the exact Atlas model is as the ID tag is missing.  I found a place on the back of unit with two holes where the ID plate was probably located.  Maybe it is a Model 5 since it has 5 selections?  The unit is not embossed with the DP clock like many of the other Atlas coolers.  It has two faded DP decals on the front and side door.  

When I went to pick it up he told me he found the rack in his garage! Great news as it's a unique rack I would probably have never found one.  It looks the there's a locking mechanism for the side door on the rack (side door doesn't have a lock hole like the Ideal units).  I will probably have to fab a little tab for the lock as it looks like it was cut.  I was able to get the coin mech door open and it has a 10 cent rejector which works.  Definitely needs some cleaning and a possible rebuild, but working nonetheless.  The "flapper" mechanism is not like the Ideal units.  It has a little bucket that the bottle sits down in and then you pull the bottle towards yourself to make the bucket angle over the hole so the bottle can be pulled out.  

Thanks to Slider Bob as I got his thoughts on the unit yesterday. Since I couldn't find any info on the site I wanted to see what everybody thought.  What's the model?  I assume it's maybe worth $300-400?  Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:27:56 pm by brasskey » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »

Thanks for the pic's, I've never seen this model close up.
 l like the coin mech.
 Is that cap catcher the same as Ideal?
 And do you have any idea what the shroud under the bottle door is for? Looks like something to house copper lines or wires.
       Nice find!

Glen
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 06:26:44 pm »

Thanks for the pic's, I've never seen this model close up.
 l like the coin mech.
 Is that cap catcher the same as Ideal?
 And do you have any idea what the shroud under the bottle door is for? Looks like something to house copper lines or wires.
       Nice find!

I'll have to pull out my ideal catcher and check.

As far as the shroud, if you look towards the end of the photos at the picture of the unit with the side door open, you'll see a small gap between the galvanized tub and another tub. At first glance it looks like the cooling lines run on the inside of that first tub and that sits just above the main tub/liner. I'll investigate further.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:28:19 pm by brasskey » Logged
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »

They are not the same size.  The Atlas cap catcher is a little larger.

kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »

Nice find, I'm sure it will be nice when your done working on it.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:32:34 am »

Tito...I think you did well for the money, especially with the impossible to find rack.  

Nice score!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:36:17 am by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 06:34:31 am »

Oh...and that black stuff is "Paintina".  Glad it peels off!

It may be an Atlas Junior or Atlas Senior Electric (pages 210 and 211 in the book).  The Junior pic shows the same backstop for the lid, but no mech on either of these machines as shown in the book pics.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:44:41 am by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:23:25 am »

Nice find!! Your lucky it's complete! I wouldn't want to find that cap catcher or rack!!

Tim
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »

excellent find ! ! !
Coin-Op Atlas coolers seldom surface!

I haven't posted my image of the Atlas Model 8 but it is similar to this model which would make me think this is the Atlas Model 5 which is listed in the DB but I do not have a good image/photo or good info...

My six cents,

Jim

brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:11:40 pm »

Thanks for the info Jim.  I can take some better photos for the website once I get it restored.

I thought I would have to fab something for the side door lock but it turns out the locking tab was just a little bent.  Does the rack on the Model 8 you have pictures of have the same lock (pictures below)?  Also, does anyone know where I can find a lock similar to the one pictured (last two pictures).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: