SMC Discussion Areas
May 07, 2024, 12:37:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie testing the waters  (Read 4516 times)
00Dawg
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »

Hey fellas, a few weeks ago I decided that what my man cave needs next is a vintage Coca Cola machine.  After an extensive internet-based crash course in the subject, I've hit a wall.  I want something on the smaller side, which led me to mostly pre-60's models.  I'm down in central Alabama, and simply put, there's not a lot of options around here.  I expanded the search towards Atlanta, lower Tennessee, and some parts of Mississippi with little luck.  What I did find is often either drastically overpriced, or isn't functional.  The shipping options/fees on eBay have killed any options I found there (as someone here kindly pointed out in another thread).

I'm not in this for looks: I can handle wear and tear, although I'm trying to avoid more than a little rust if I can.  I just want it to get cold, and not weigh so much that I can't move it safely without help.  Dry is much preferred.  I had a WD-12 locally I thought was going to be the one, but it ended up not cooling, and the guy wouldn't come off his price enough for me to justify buying it and sending the compressor off to Eric (the compressor would click/pop, run for a few seconds, make a click/pop and shut back off, sometimes click/pop without starting, repeat).

Anyway, I'm in the market for a machine.  I've seen a variety of types that would work:  the Vendo 23, WD-5 or 12, Ideal 35 or 55b, Glasco GBV-50, or VMC 27 would probably fit best.
The VMC 27B or 33 might be an option, although I don't have a good feel for weight distribution.  Top heavy stuff isn't ideal.  I've also taken a gander at the Cavalier FD-2, but don't have a good feel on price. 

I'm definitely still new to this, so please feel free to share any thoughts, wisdom, or general insults.   Cool
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »

The Best Bet For the Bottle Sizes you'll Need (BEER !!)  Vendo 63 Or a Cavalier 64 Both are Small machines & can be stocked with most any glass bottles & even some Plastic water bottles Like Ice Mountain .Their Reasonable in Price $250 -$450 Debending On Condition Or If the Front Has Wood Grain (Can Be removed )Covering It Or Painted Red ? There Built in the 60s and in to the 70s with out much changing in them .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:12:36 pm »

Best thing is to not get in a hurry and buy something you'll regret later. Their are alot of machines of most every type so don't overpay. You could also put a wanted ad on craigslist. I've turned up some machines that way.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »

The Best Bet For the Bottle Sizes you'll Need (BEER !!)  Vendo 63 Or a Cavalier 64 Both are Small machines & can be stocked with most any glass bottles & even some Plastic water bottles Like Ice Mountain .Their Reasonable in Price $250 -$450 Debending On Condition Or If the Front Has Wood Grain (Can Be removed )Covering It Or Painted Red ? There Built in the 60s and in to the 70s with out much changing in them .

100% agree... V56 or V63 for bottles or cans but not both at the same time. Cavalier USS-64 can vend both bottles and cans at the same time.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »

Welcome aboard!   happydrinkers

The best all-purpose machine for the man-cave application is a Cavalier USS 64 or 96.  Small footprint and not too heavy and it can vend anything from plastic bottles of water to long neck bottles of beer to cans of anything.  I have run just about everything through my 64!

The best advice is to really look at some machines before jumping the gun.  Most of us have at least one machine in the collection that we probably would not have bought had we taken a little time to think about it! blush

drinking Tim drinking
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:45:44 am »

Vendo 63 would be my vote, they are compact and easy to find parts for.  If height is a problem a slider would be good but keep in mind a v63 is no wider than a slider just a little taller.

Greg
00Dawg
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:26:14 pm »

And of course, after I start this search, I visit a good friend's house for the umpteenth time, and realize they have a working Vendo 39 in the back corner (painted solid red, and it did blend in).  Weren't willing to sell it, though.   blush

Meanwhile, I've run across some other machines not that far away, but definitely near the top of my price range, and since they aren't ideal in type and/or location, I'm hesitant to purchase.  Prices on eBay and Craigslist are all over the place, so my next question is:  what's the most objective price source around?  If I see an original WD-12 in nice shape for a grand and delay, am I being greedy or smart?
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

Smart. That's too much money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: