SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 01:21:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Vend Motor  (Read 38947 times)
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 12:08:38 pm »

research vend motor for a Rowe cigarette machine....

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »

ok i looked up those motors for rowe cigarette machine, but I guess i am to new to understand.  I didn't find any references to the rpm's, or any specifics for the motor.

Do you think these would be a suitable replacement for a westinghouse motor??

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 09:53:28 pm »

I would think you'd need a torque measurement on top of the RPM's, as the Westinghouse vend assembly is a heavy unit that needs some muscle to get it to vend properly.  The Rowe unit looks close, but I'd think that vending cigarette packs wouldn't need nearly the same amount of torque.

One of these days I'll get around to experimenting with another one of these.  Based on torque specs and speed, I think that an automotive wiper motor would have the same characteristics, and could be a good fit.  I may try to pick a few up at a junkyard and see what I can get working.  Some of the early Chevrolet wiper motors have resistors installed to make them dual speed motors, replacing that with a custom resistor may be a good way to adjust to the vending needs, of course they are all 12VDC, so you'd have to have some form of an AC/DC converter as well.

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »

I have found two different motors for the Westy.
The one on the left came out of my WB-60 and it is the sealed type. When my machine jammed, it stripped the gears internally - no way to open it!
The one on the right is from a WB-102 and it can be opened up, lubed/repaired. You have to drill a hole a little higher on the linkage for it to work, but it has been working fine over a year now. Even if it breaks, it can be repaired. This is the motor to get. Both are mfg. by Merkle-Korff.
The gear ratio is 172:1 & 19 RPM on the left one and is model SG25. The one on the right just has "Model NF" on it. I assume it has comparable specifics.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:40:19 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 06:35:08 am »

If I can get the shaft size, mounting dimensions and rotation I can check with my part suppliers. I work on a lot of different conveyor ovens that use motors that look a lot like the ones pictured so I can take a stab at it and see if something is compatible. I see a E clip on the end of the shaft, does it have a flat space on the shaft?

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 08:06:34 am »

I have only come close to ever owning one of these machines, that was a few months ago but Tom talked me out of it.  biggrin

Looking at his picture of the location of the motor, it appears to have extra space above it. Now excuse me if this has already been covered, but have all efforts to find a replacement been concentrated on only a "drop in" gearmotor? I mean, if the same torque and rotation were found, could the mounting hardware and linkage be modified to fit?

The reason I am asking, is my cataloge from Vendors Exchange shows a picture of a "Transport motor" replacement # VE 1125 for the Rowe soda machine $85.00.
(website does not have pics).
The motor is offset from the gearbox so fit is a big concern, but it was made for inside the cold compartment and with enough power to vend in those large machines.
They also show one with a much shorter profile #VE 5168 that I'm sure would fit the space ,but is priced at $212.00.

In any event, somebody is going to replace one of these drive motors some day, and that person is probably going to be someone from SMC  drinking

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 08:11:13 am »

If I can get the shaft size, mounting dimensions and rotation I can check with my part suppliers. I work on a lot of different conveyor ovens that use motors that look a lot like the ones pictured so I can take a stab at it and see if something is compatible. I see a E clip on the end of the shaft, does it have a flat space on the shaft?

In regards to the shaft, They are just round & drilled with an roll-pin to secure the cam to the shaft. ( no flat)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »

I have found two different motors for the Westy.
The one on the left came out of my WB-60 and it is the sealed type. When my machine jammed, it stripped the gears internally - no way to open it!
The one on the right is from a WB-102 and it can be opened up, lubed/repaired. You have to drill a hole a little higher on the linkage for it to work, but it has been working fine over a year now. Even if it breaks, it can be repaired. This is the motor to get. Both are mfg. by Merkle-Korff.
The gear ratio is 172:1 & 19 RPM on the left one and is model SG25. The one on the right just has "Model NF" on it. I assume it has comparable specifics.

I have found the exact same thing. The motor I have is closed. I am sure it would cost, but could someone cut it open and have it rebuilt?? Or is this to hard, not plausible??  I am ready to experiment!! I have a cutter and have no idea what i am doing so things might work out!!

I am very new to this but am very willing to help out if  can.  If someone needs measurements or something please just give me some helpful instructions and I will send measurements, pics or just really good vibes.  please let me know what I can do.

guess I sound a bit desperate sorry. I am just bout done with my 1st machine a wb-102 and this is the thing I am missing.  So, it would be nice to have something.

kevin

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:55 am »

I have only come close to ever owning one of these machines, that was a few months ago but Tom talked me out of it.  biggrin

Looking at his picture of the location of the motor, it appears to have extra space above it. Now excuse me if this has already been covered, but have all efforts to find a replacement been concentrated on only a "drop in" gearmotor? I mean, if the same torque and rotation were found, could the mounting hardware and linkage be modified to fit?

The reason I am asking, is my cataloge from Vendors Exchange shows a picture of a "Transport motor" replacement # VE 1125 for the Rowe soda machine $85.00.
(website does not have pics).
The motor is offset from the gearbox so fit is a big concern, but it was made for inside the cold compartment and with enough power to vend in those large machines.
They also show one with a much shorter profile #VE 5168 that I'm sure would fit the space ,but is priced at $212.00.

In any event, somebody is going to replace one of these drive motors some day, and that person is probably going to be someone from SMC  drinking

I hope you don't mean me or else I'm going to feel pretty bad lol.

You would think with how many people have restored these machines, and probably encountered the same motor problems, someone would have made/modified a replacement by now. Any way, my motor is the sealed type (same as most I believe) so like you guys have said, the only possible way to try and fix it, would be to cut open the housing I believe and even then, no guarantees
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 11:42:27 am »

...the only possible way to try and fix it, would be to cut open the housing I believe and even then, no guarantees
I have a stripped (sealed) motor I could send you to experiment with if you want. PM me your address if interested.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: