SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 08:15:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse WC-96-T  (Read 6209 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:17 pm »

I came across a WC-96T.  Fair condition (a few dents, paint ok, exterior and interior seem to have all parts).  The compressor is working well but the owner did not know about the coin changer.  What's a fair price to offer?  I know pics would help, but I didn't have a chance.  I'll try to get some up soon.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:53:28 pm by brasskey » Logged
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:49:07 am »

Well after I found out the compressor "was working but the cord is cut", I ended up buying this for $50.  It was an impulse buy as I knew nothing about the unit before I bought it.  I guess it might have not been the best buy as it only vends smaller bottles.  Oh well.  Below are some pictures of the machine.  It is in decent shape and seems to not be missing too much (door gasket, door bezel, parts for locking mechanism, etc).  There are some good dents and scratches but nothing too severe.  

Since the power cord to the compressor was cut I thought I would pull the compressor out tonight and hook up a new power cord. As I got into looking, I saw another sort of powered unit (with coils going behind the liner).  Maybe the old compressor doesn't work and this was someone's fix?  This doesn't look stock since the two pipes coming out of the unit are drilled through the liner.  Anyone have ideas on what this is (see last four pictures)?

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:16:19 am »

My guess is that it is some type of cooling coil for a water fountain which would be mounted on the side of the machine or nearby it. The wires would act as a heater to keep the water from freezing and bursting the copper coils.
     You might get half your investment money back by recycling that copper.

Glen
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:47:37 am »

If you decide to part it out, that has a change-giving coin mech which is easily worth much more than $50.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:52:49 am »

Yeah - you won't lose money. The mech is easily worth $250 or so.
Where do the copper lines run after they go through the liner? Are there two holes in the side or any signs of a fountain being on the side somewhere. It definately does not look like something professionally installed. I'd just remove this thing and rewire the compressor.

I probably have a cap catcher (and maybe a coin box) if you need them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:55:01 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 06:12:42 pm »

You did real good with this find. It's nice to know there still are some excellent deals to be had out there. Congrats!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:25 am »

I agree you did great! It is a tall machine but it is a great looking tall machine. DId you find out what the coils are?
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 10:10:11 pm »

Where do the copper lines run after they go through the liner? Are there two holes in the side or any signs of a fountain being on the side somewhere. It definately does not look like something professionally installed. I'd just remove this thing and rewire the compressor.

I probably have a cap catcher (and maybe a coin box) if you need them.

There are holes about waist-high on the left side of the unit (where I assume a fountain was installed).  Soon I will get around to pulling the liner and you all can see the install in more detail.

I will take you up on on the cap catcher and coin box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: